||March 15, 2019
||Newspapers / Wires
The Seattle Times, the Pulitzer Prize-winning media company, is actively seeking an Assistant Business Editor! In our newsroom, you will be responsible for accurate, responsible coverage of technology, covering a key Seattle Times franchise in a market with the world’s two most valuable tech companies and a vigorous start-up scene. You will edit and give direction to a team of reporters while also leading a yearlong special initiative on artificial intelligence intended to reach a national audience. Ideally, you are a skillful editor and writing coach, have a strong background in technology journalism, and bring capable experience in high-impact breaking news and enterprise reporting.
- Edits a team of technology reporters to produce daily news and longer-term enterprise stories for multiple platforms including a print newspaper, website, newsletters and social media.
- Represents the business desk as needed at morning and afternoon meetings to communicate and coordinate coverage plans.
- Evaluates wire stories for use in the business report online and in print.
- Guides the Monday Business Technology section, selecting stories, photos and graphics.
- Uses social media and other tools to reach and engage business readers.
- Helps ready the daily print section.
- Assists in overseeing the full business staff
- Represents The Seattle Times Business section to the community, the tech industry, and other groups as needed.
- Leads for digital transformation, thinking and publishing within the department.
- Experience: minimum of five years of business journalism experience, including three years in a supervisory editor role. Applicant should have a consistent track record of successfully directing complex enterprise story packages as well as breaking news.
- Wordpress and other online publishing systems and spreadsheet software such as Excel.
- Strong news judgment, including the ability to assess a story’s potential, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Demonstrated skill at coaching reporters to craft and report stories, utilize tools such as datasets and public records requests, and maximize the potential of each story.
- High level of accuracy, honesty, fairness, and knowledge of libel laws. Excellent grammar and language skills.
- Social media skills, and comfort using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and other social networks to gather and disseminate news, reach new audiences and track the changing social landscape.
- Reader engagement skills, including participation in chats, comments or use of engagement tools on sites such as Reddit.
- Be comfortable representing the business staff and the Seattle Times in public settings such as interviews, panel discussions or other presentations.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. We combine cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media, reaching an established audience of 1.8 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2019