From the Grapevine (www.fromthegrapevine.com) is seeking an experienced, organized and creative Social Media Specialist to join our team. The primary goal for this position is to grow the From the Grapevine audience.
This person will work closely with the editorial team to increase engagement with From the Grapevine content on a variety of lifestyle topics including: Nature, culture, travel, photography, pop culture, health, and technology.
The ideal candidate should:
1. Have experience growing audiences for other media brands.
2. Understand best practices for developing content that will succeed on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and emerging platforms.
3. Have a track record of developing solutions for generating more engagement on site through a variety of means, including newsletters, podcasts, streaming events or other mechanisms.
4. Demonstrate a keen eye for images and video as well as creativity in developing story ideas, writing headlines and sharing posts on social platforms.
5. Work well with others.
6. Excel at prioritizing tasks.
1. Collaborating with the editorial team on story ideas and content development that will resonate with our audience by putting it through a social filter at the beginning of the process. Getting to know From the Grapevine’s brand and style will be essential.
2. Working with editors and writers to make their content more sharable, including developing new headlines for social and identifying more captivating images.
3. Building on the current social strategy of sharing content and identifying new opportunities for developing a larger audience. This includes creating social-oriented content on the fly.
4. Working with editorial team to initiate special features and packages to help generate more engagement with From the Grapevine content (for example, a special theme week which would include a significant social component).
5. Following the progress of social media efforts and monitoring content performance to determine what’s working and what’s not (by using tools like Google Analytics, Buffer, BuzzSumo, Facebook Insights, etc.) and staying up to speed with social media trends.
6. Participating in morning editorial meeting and other planning meetings to make sure we are focusing on social opportunities.
7. Working closely with content editors to make sure content and social media posts are correctly formatted, typo-free and reflect the brand.
8. Helping set and reach monthly goals for content performance.
9. Helping the team identify what the next big thing is – whether it’s a topic, a content type or a fresh approach.
Must-have skills and qualifications:
The ideal candidate should have:
• At least two years of social media experience and a proven track record of growing an audience and increasing engagement for a media, marketing or advertising organization.
• Sound news judgment.
• Strong communication skills.
• A sense of fun and wonder.
• Understanding of best practices for promoting content on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest as well as emerging platforms.
• Experience with Google Analytics; able to evaluate how an audience is engaging with various kinds of content through Facebook Insights and Twitter analytics.
• Ability to work alongside the editorial team while providing social direction based on metrics and best practices.
• An appreciation for grammar and punctuation and a working knowledge of AP style.
• Proficiency in Photoshop.
• Ability to multitask and prioritize.
• Ability to play well with others yet show initiative; this position is part of a bigger team.
Additional desired skills:
• Experience writing and producing newsletters.
• Experience sharing content updates via Facebook Messenger and other push media.
• Experience with Facebook Live.
Bachelor’s degree with a major in journalism, communications, English or related field is desired.
This position is in our Atlanta office. Remote candidates will not be considered.
Please send a resume or link to your LinkedIn profile, cover letter and examples of how you have grown an audience to email@example.com.