|Date Posted||January 11, 2017|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
The Virginian-Pilot is seeking a copy editor who will work on stories and packages that appear in the Virginian-Pilot and pilotonline.com. This person will be expected to do it all when it comes to print and online production, but the focus is on strong copy editing. We want as close to perfection as we can get! The person will also write headlines, captions and other graphic elements. This person will proof and correct print pages, as well as reviewing online content.
- Safeguards accuracy of stories
- Spots and fixes holes in stories
- Finds the essence of each story and expresses it in headlines and cutlines
- Communicates ideas about stories and their presentation with reporters, designers and other copy editors
- Works with the rest of the team to improve its performance
- Meets deadlines
- Able to work in both a print and online environment.
- Demonstrated mastery of grammar, spelling and Associated Press style. A copy
editing exercise will be required.
- Preference to those with knowledge of Town News; and InDesign
- Demonstrated ability to recognize news and act accordingly.
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately under deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of local, state and national news, sports and entertainment and
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- 2 years of editing and layout experience on a daily newspaper or magazine copy desk
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2017