Seeking dynamic Reporter
Community Impact Newspaper
Community Impact Newspaper is looking for a dynamic reporter for the Lake Travis/Westlake area. Our reporters work hard every day to relay the news that residents need and want to know about. The reporter covers City Council meetings and also writes about business, transportation, health care, events and more. Stories are published in our award-winning monthly, full-color publication and on our website, recently named the best non-daily news website in the country by the National Newspaper Association.
This position requires the ability to juggle multiple print and online deadlines, so multitasking capability is a must. We're looking for someone who has an understanding of the way city government functions. It is essential to be motivated, trustworthy and levelheaded under pressure to be successful in this position.
We are a privately held company in which the owners work to ensure our employees have the tools and environment to succeed. We offer a competitive base salary, health benefits, matching 401K and several other benefits, including your birthday off.
If you believe you have the skills, experience and desire to be a reporter at Community Impact Newspaper send your resume, cover letter and 3–5 published clips through our online application
Essential Job Functions:
- Generate original story ideas and present them at internal planning meetings
- Investigate, analyze, and interpret newsworthy events taking place within and outside the assigned community to produce and write original, engaging, and content-appropriate news stories, including features and web stories
- Contribute ideas for graphics and sidebars for each story
- Develop, maintain, and grow network of news sources and community contacts
- Maintain accurate source and contact records that are easily accessible by team members
- Research and maintain awareness of current and future business development, by attending city council meetings, school board meetings, commissioners court meetings, and other community events to ensure a steady flow of news
- Interview news sources in person (occasionally from the desk) and from a variety of perspectives to ensure accurate reporting
- Commit to the highest level of accuracy and complete all writing within established deadlines
- Provide oversight and leadership to interns
- Exercise independent discretion and judgment in how and where to promote the company to readers, community leaders, news sources, and the general public
- Represent the company in a positive and professional manner at networking events and other external functions
- Must be able to drive and provide own transportation and motorist insurance
- Assist in other duties as instructed or required
- Must be punctual and maintain an acceptable attendance record
- Must adhere to company policies and procedures
- Shoot photographs for stories as needed
- Contribute stories and editorial knowledge to special publications such as Connected and Healthcare Directory
- Adhere to Community Impact Newspaper’s editorial stylebook and AP style guidelines
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- 1 year prior experience with other print publication(s)
- Hard news experience, especially in covering governmental bodies
- Experience with photography a plus
When applying, mention you saw this opening listed at JournalismJobs.com.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2015