||September 14, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires
Baltimore Sun Media seeks a thoughtful, energetic and creative leader to join our staff as a news content editor focused on community news coverage. This editor would help coordinate daily news coverage, connecting our community news division -- including The Capital, Carroll County Times, The Aegis and several weekly publications -- with The Baltimore Sun newsroom operations. A good candidate should be a champion of community news, suggesting innovative ways to tell stories that engage the many audiences that Baltimore Sun Media serves.
Baltimore Sun Media is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that’s the only way we will deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
- Work urgently with reporters on coverage of breaking news, occasionally doing rewrite to get updated content online immediately.
- Mentor journalists covering community news beats of government, education, crime and lifestyles with the goal of continually honing their reporting and writing skills.
- Works with editors in our community newsroom and the Baltimore Sun to plan out upcoming coverage.
- Suggest and execute broad community news stories that could be customized for hyper-local audiences.
- Work with other editors to raise the level of editing and reporting of community journalism across Baltimore Sun Media properties.
- Assists with social promotion of content on Facebook and Twitter.
- Works with other editors and audience team to find different story forms to disseminate news.
- Updates news collections on our website.
- Produces the daily budget, a list of stories going online and intended for print.
- At least 4 years of digital experience editing and producing content.
- 4 years of management experience that includes a collegial and encouraging management style that fosters budding talent and challenges veteran employees.
- Ability to work strategically with our audience team in the effort to grow site traffic.
- Solid journalistic credentials with comprehensive knowledge of media law including copyright, libel, two-party consent, privacy, and fair use questions, in addition to a highly developed sense of ethics.
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021