||January 12, 2021
||Newspapers / Wires
Summer News Intern
Metro Editor in New Orleans, LA
Metro Editor in Baton Rouge, LA
Managing Editor in Lafayette, LA
The Advocate is aware that diversity plays a significant part in providing great news in print and digital platforms. Our commitment to inclusion across, race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience has helped in our reputation of being one of the strongest news sources in the state of Louisiana. We are seeking applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences for internships that will be located in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and our Lafayette locations.
General Summary of Position: We are looking for three interns to work in our three markets, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and New Orleans. Each intern will have at least one of the traditional newsroom skills, like reporter, designer, photographer, sportswriter, online editor. Night and weekend work required.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Duties:
- Monitor Breaking News
- Make calls for news stories.
- Monitor new posts by competitors, law enforcement, and citizens for breaking news stories at all times.
- Prepare news coverage for print and online platforms.
- Cover live news events for online and print.
- Take photographs for online and print.
- Write headlines that are catchy and accurate.
Education, Experience, and Knowledge Requirements:
- Thorough knowledge of English language, grammar, spelling, and style.
- Considerable knowledge of government – finances, courts, police, elections.
- Considerable knowledge of computers, newspaper system, research tools, etc.
- Active Writing – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Reading Comprehension – Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time.
- Complex Problem Solving – Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Judgment and Decision Making – Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand.
- Ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
- Ability to listen to and understand complex information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Ability to think on your feet – ask questions, dig for documents
- Ability to develop story ideas and sources
- Ability to question authority and at the same time, take direction from editors
- Ability to work effectively with coworkers and others
- Ability to drive a vehicle
Physical Requirements (sensory acuity)
The job requires the following demands daily:
- hear normal conversation
- hear faint sounds, signals, etc.
- see nearby and distant objects
- have accurate depth perception
- have accurate color vision
- clear speaking so someone else can understand what you say
Physical Requirements (coordination, dexterity, and strength):
- The job requires the following physical demands daily: finger dexterity, sitting, standing, twisting, turning, walking, and rapid working speed.
- The job requires the following physical demands once or twice a week: Running and grasping
- Often requires traveling to meetings and story locations in a vehicle and exposure to outdoor weather conditions
- Moderate noises (business office with computer and printers, light traffic)
- Interacts with others
To apply to this job, click here
Job ads copyrighted by JournalismJobs.com -- © 1998-2021