|February 07, 2024
Cascade PBS’s mission is to inform and inspire our community to make the world a better place.
Our vision is to be the most essential and relevant media organization in the region.
The Newsletter Editor is largely responsible for managing newsletter subscriber growth, retention and engagement. It also includes some content creation and contributing toward reader engagement strategies across multiple digital channels. The digital content team directly supports organizational efforts to expand our reach across the Pacific Northwest, foster and drive civic engagement, and inspire a smarter world while demonstrating Cascade PBS’s values of integrity, community, innovation and diversity.
Hourly Rate: $29.75-$31.25
Location: Seattle - Must live in WA State, hybrid schedule available
CPM offers competitive benefits to team members working 20 hours or more a week. Benefits include:
- 11 paid holidays
- 1 personal holiday
- 4 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO) to start
- Half-day Fridays during Summer
- Company-matched 401(k) Retirement Plan that is fully-vested immediately
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Employer-paid Orca Pass
- Play a pivotal role in the planning, production and publishing of Cascade PBS editorial newsletters
- Track newsletter analytics and reader input to foster more impactful reach and reporting
- Develop and distribute regular reports on newsletter performance metrics and trends to department leadership
- Be prepared to lend recommendations on related areas of audience engagement and building audience trust
- Optimize cadence and delivery of newsletters to gain new readers, and grow and sustain our cohort of loyal readership. Refine and optimize current newsletter products, and pitch and help produce new newsletter products by working with the editorial team and various Cascade PBS departments (Membership, MarCom, Events, etc.)
- Assist with digital story building for daily stories and special projects as needed
- Copy edit newsletter content for style, grammatical clarity and reader impact
- Schedule the next morning’s content to publish on the Cascade PBS website (This role often has the last look at unpublished work each evening, so this person sets up the site for the next day.)
- Follow digital media trends, test innovative ideas, explore new tools and implement best practices for newsletter production and engagement.
- Coach editorial staff to bring more depth of knowledge about newsletters and work with some of the reporters who might contribute to newsletters.
- Work with the digital content manager and other departments to cross-pollinate work and audiences across Cascade PBS platforms.
- In the absence of the digital content manager, may be asked to back up the creation and scheduling of assets for distribution on Cascade PBS editorial social media outlets
- Collaborate with other team members to foster a positive and productive culture and contribute toward the overall growth of Cascade PBS
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
- Strong news judgment and a deep interest in the news. Familiarity or ability to learn and adhere to the SPJ Code of Ethics.
- Ability to manage short and long-term projects in an environment with shifting deadlines
- Deep knowledge of newsletters and email analytics using tools. Experience in Mailchimp, Salesforce or Engaging Networks is preferred
- Strong collaboration and communication skills and knowledge of industry tools including Slack, Trello and Google. Familiarity with Marketing Cloud and Salesforce is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Knowledge of AP style, impeccable grammar and copy editing skills
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communication or related field, or equivalent experience, required
- 2 or more years of newsletter production and management. While experience in a newsroom is preferred, it is not a requirement.
- Prior experience using digital media for philanthropy preferred
- Strong project management experience, organizational skills, and accountability required
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends and holidays as needed
- Ability to regularly type on a keyboard
- Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time
The hiring process for this role will include a phone screen and a virtual or in-person panel interview. In some instances, additional panel interviews may take place. If you need reasonable accommodation during the job application or interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.