The paginator is responsible for following and implementing The Gazette’s (and Denver Gazette and Colorado Politics) overall design style and producing high-quality, creative and coherent page designs for paginated products and special sections produced by the newsroom.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for following page design standards and conformity across all newsroom paginated products.
- Attend department meetings as well as any other assigned planning meetings.
- Seek out opportunities for innovative design.
- Seek out and implement opportunities for alternative story telling.
- Seek out opportunities to include news graphics in page design.
- Routinely seek out page design innovations through SND and other resources.
- Collaborate with editors, photographers and other journalists to convey appropriate news judgment and hierarchy in page design.
- Collaborate with the news editor and design coordinator to maintain copy flow, workflow and meet deadlines.
- Coordinate with section editors on ways to create and present special features.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Minimum Education & Work Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study with daily publishing experience. Sports knowledge and sports publishing experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- Possess strong eye for photo editing and play.
- Possess strong knowledge of international, national and local news, sports, business and pop culture.
- Ability to design broadsheet, tab, magazine and any other publication size.
- Intermediate or higher computer skills.
- Ability to apply effective time management and self-management skills in a busy work environment; ability to meet deadlines despite regular interruptions.
- Must be able to multitask, balance priorities and work independently.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able to speak up and express thoughts and ideas clearly, directly, honestly, and with respect for others and for the work of the team.
- Must be committed to teamwork and able to collaborate well with employees within the pagination team and the overall newsroom.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy at times.