|February 06, 2024
|Magazines / Publishing
POSITION: Arts & Culture Writer
REPORTS TO: CITY magazine Editor
The Arts & Culture Writer is a self-motivated storyteller with multimedia skills who can produce relevant, engaging content.
In addition to contributing to the monthly magazine, weekly digital content and live event reviews in their beat, the reporter will contribute to WXXI radio and video reporting, team-reported enterprise stories, engagement efforts like company events, social media endeavors, and other collaborative journalism activities as they arise.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – TIME ON TASK
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
EDITORIAL FUNCTIONS – 85%
- Reporting and writing features
- Reviewing live events in respective beats
- Creating on-air reports, weekly digital articles and newsletters, and social media coverage (created and/or shared)
- Providing additional material to complement or promote audio and video news content, such as separate news copy, photographs (as needed), and related web links
- Working with the CITY team to share content and develop joint projects
- Creating and implementing successful new editorial initiatives in the arts and culture space
COLLABORATIVE FUNCTIONS — 10%
- Coordinating and cross-promoting arts and culture content created by staff across WXXI
- Communicating with multiple internal teams from production to marketing and sales to improve quality as well as grow audience and brand (i.e., helping with radio drives or live events as needed)
- Keeping a running calendar of upcoming events in their beat(s)
- Developing strong community relationships, leading partnerships where appropriate
- Representing WXXI/CITY at national and local journalism and arts organizations, meetings, college classes, and other events as needed.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS — 5%
- Appearing on air as needed (radio and television)
- Additional duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent (journalism/communications degree is preferred, but not required)
- At least three years of experience as a working journalist/content creator in print and digital environments
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (i.e., evenings and weekends) as needed; especially on a respective beat
- Flexibility to produce a variety of multimedia content and social media on deadline
- Knowledge of a wide range of arts and culture genres, especially in Rochester and the Finger Lakes.
- Experience in audio and video production and digital photography (phone is OK) preferred
- Excellent project management, time management, and organization skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, self-directed, curious, flexible, and detail-oriented
$50,000 to $65,000, commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package, including medical insurance and vacation/sick pay.
We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation, and delivers better business results.
WXXI is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This policy expressly prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic predisposition, gender identity or expression, carrier status, domestic violence victim status, veteran status or status as a member of any other protected group or activity.