|February 05, 2024
|Newspapers, Digital Media
Location: Northern Illinois, office location flexible
Are you a passionate journalist with a finger on the pulse of the digital world? Do you thrive in fast-paced environments and have a knack for crafting compelling narratives? If so, then we want you on our team!
Shaw Media is seeking a talented and driven Digital Editor to join our dynamic newsroom. In this pivotal role, you will play a key part in shaping our digital coverage, ensuring our readers stay informed and engaged with the stories that matter most.
• Ensure the homepage(s) are dynamic, engaging, and reflective of the latest news.
• Monitor homepage analytics regularly to ensure the homepages are featuring the hottest stories in real-time.
• Design new templates to match the tone and content of the stories we want to promote.
• Regularly adjust the homepage layout to optimize for an improved user experience and audience growth.
• Optimize digital content for search engines to increase organic visibility.
• Stay updated on SEO best practices and implement strategies to improve search rankings.
• Work closely with the editorial team to align digital content with overall editorial strategy.
• Collaborate with the marketing team to integrate promotional materials seamlessly into the digital platform.
• Identify stories that are trending and look for ways we could add additional entry points such as alternative story forms to optimize the news cycle.
• Work with editors and in some cases reporters, to not only identify low-performing stories but also to offer on-cycle suggestions to improve headlines and story contents.
• Work with editors to offer insights on story performance and analysis as to why stories may not have performed to expectations.
• Monitor competitors’ websites to identify stories that are trending elsewhere, or have the potential to do well for us, and help localize or aggregate for our sites.
• Develop and execute a plan for soliciting UGC, such as photos and videos on-cycle.
• Help reporters and editors with online crowdsourcing.
• Proven experience as a Digital Editor or in a similar role.
• Strong understanding of web design principles and user experience optimization.
• Proficiency in content management systems (CMS) and web analytics tools.
• Solid understanding of SEO best practices.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
• Passion for local news and a deep understanding of the community.
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
• Creative mindset with the ability to adapt to evolving digital trends.
• Some nights and weekend work may be required depending on the news cycle.
About Shaw Media:
Shaw Media publishes over 150 titles in Illinois and Iowa. Its holdings include websites, newspapers, magazines, radio stations, and a digital marketing services division. Founded in Dixon, Illinois, Shaw Media has been privately owned by the Shaw family since its inception in 1851.
Enjoy the Rewards of Working Among the Best:
In return for your contributions to our success, Shaw Media offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, medical, dental, vision, life, and 401(k) with company match.
Interested candidates are invited to send their résumé, cover letter, and clips to:
Or mail it to us at:
Shaw Media – Digital Editor
Attn: Human Resources
PO Box 250
Crystal Lake, IL 60039
Shaw Media is an Equal Opportunity and Drug-free Employer.
Pre-employment background check and drug screen are required.
This posting may not include all duties of the position.