|February 02, 2024
The Telegraph is seeking a visual journalist based in Macon, Georgia, to focus on shooting, editing, and producing original photo and video journalism across multiple platforms.
We also seek an individual who can write basic stories as well.
This individual will be required to pitch, report, and produce outstanding visual journalism and long-term visual stories. The visual journalists plays a critical role, working closely with newsroom colleagues to tell important and groundbreaking visual stories in our area.
A strong work ethic, the ability to multitask, to quickly produce high-quality photos and videos and the aptitude to work across short- and long-term deadlines is required.
• Produce outstanding still photojournalism and video to accompany storytelling in online digital presentations
• Generate ideas for still photo and video stories that appeal across local, regional, and statewide online audiences related to climate change, energy and environmental issues
• Report, edit and produce compelling visual journalism on deadline
• Shoot live video on scene when warranted and transmit photos from the scene of breaking news as needed.
• Edit, produce, and place video in related stories and social platforms
• Produce live-stream content, which may include breaking news, public meetings, or scheduled newsroom events
• Collaborate with editors/reporters to develop creative approaches to digital storytelling
• Write headlines, captions, summaries, social media posts and stories that are engaging and accurate
• College degree preferred or equivalent experience
• Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, and team player skills required
• Familiarity with the latest still photography equipment and professional video cameras, capturing sound and video editing
• Newsroom experience and/or internship(s), preferably in newspapers and/or digital media
• Strong video editing ability and storytelling a must Visual sensibility and experience contributing to interactive and multimedia work, with creative concepts and implementation
• Reliable news judgment, advanced communication skills needed
• Ability to edit video using Adobe Premiere Pro
• Ability to use Adobe After Effects and Audition a plus
• An understanding of audience trends, SEO and digital media are important
• Ability to quickly edit video
• Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license Vehicle insurance required
• Ability to lift to 25 pounds
• Energy, flexibility, and online smarts
• Ability to work well with a variety of editors and staff at all levels within a digitally evolving local newsroom
• Aptitude for thinking big, working wisely, quickly, and efficiently
This position will be based in Macon. Nights and weekend work is a possibility. Some travel may be required.
What we’ll bring: As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com. (Exclude this sentence for Miami Herald / el Nuevo Herald positions per Guild contract)
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 57 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.