|January 31, 2024
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the largest news organization in Western Pennsylvania, is hiring a Politics Editor to help supervise and drive our coverage of politics, government, policy and power in the Pittsburgh region, Washington, Harrisburg, and across the state.
This editor will play a key role in managing a talented team of reporters and in developing and executing a strategic plan for the newsroom’s extensive coverage of politics and government, including the oversight of the highly anticipated 2024 U.S. presidential election.
This editor will directly manage the Post-Gazette’s Harrisburg and Washington bureaus, while also overseeing the rest of the Politics & Governing team that covers the City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. The editor will collaborate with other editors and staffers to ensure all relevant parts of the newsroom are supporting and complementing this digital-first coverage — including but not limited to beat experts covering education, energy, transportation, infrastructure, health, and investigations.
We’re looking for an ambitious manager to edit quick-turn dailies, deeply reported enterprise and insightful analysis on everything from our congressional delegation’s legislative initiatives to the strategies behind statewide campaigns for president and U.S. Senate. These are stories for Post-Gazette readers who want to know how power and policies in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Washington, Harrisburg and elsewhere affect our region — and how the Pittsburgh area fits into one of the country’s most fiercely competitive battleground states. The eyes of the region, state and country will be on Pennsylvania in 2024, and this editor will ensure those eyes are on our coverage.
- Understand the workings of regional, state and federal government, national politics and policy making
- Have a proven track record of covering policy, government and/or political campaigns
- See past the daily noise to spot the news and trends that truly matter to the Pittsburgh region
- Possess a command of digital-first journalism and a wide range of storytelling techniques
- Have a positive attitude and an ability to collaborate and thrive in high-pressure situations
Candidates should have the ability to:
- Ensure that our reporting is accurate, fair and thorough and delivered with high quality under constant deadlines and edited to conform to our style and ethical standards
- Work with reporters and editors to set a strategic course for the Politics & Governing desk that prioritizes timely digital newsgathering and places a premium on original reporting
- Apply creativity to story generation, visual element generation and the presentation of news and information in the most relevant, interesting way
- Credibly represent the Post-Gazette at events and on external media channels
- At least a bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism
- A minimum of 7 years of journalism experience
- Proven experience as an effective editor
- Ability to foster excellent communication with direct reports, peers and supervisors
- A track record of working well in a team setting and juggling multiple tasks
- Exceptional work ethic, time management, and organizational skills
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and attention to detail
Other things to know
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it
- As an equal opportunity employer, the Post-Gazette is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs
Interested candidates should email Managing Editor Teresa Lindeman at firstname.lastname@example.org