|January 23, 2024
|Digital Media, Nonprofit
Central Current seeks an executive director
Central Current, a nonprofit digital news organization based in Syracuse, NY, is looking for an executive director who is a visionary leader and understands the essential role that local journalism plays in the health of a democracy.
The executive director will play a pivotal role in working with The Central Current’s Board of Directors to raise funds, expand the staff, and oversee the development of CC’s operations.
Compensation for the position will range from $50,000 to $70,000. Pay will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include insurance, dental and eye care, a retirement plan, professional development and generous PTO benefits.
If you’d like to apply, you can send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
The executive director is responsible for the direction and management of the organization. Primary duties include fundraising, community engagement, and, with the support of the chief of staff, oversight of daily administrative details. The executive director reports to the board, and in partnership with the board, sets the budget and revenue goals to ensure the fiscal health and successful operation of the organization. This includes overseeing the hiring and training of staff, setting administrative policies, and leading a collaborative and creative work environment among all staff, contractors, supporters, and volunteers.
The executive director, with the support of the chief of staff, manages a portfolio of major donors and prospects, secures foundation grants and business sponsorships, and explores innovative revenue sources to build a sustainable future. The executive director also works with the chief of staff and Board to coordinate participation in fundraising activities, and in monitoring fundraising progress. The executive director is responsible for ensuring that all fundraising and business operations align with the journalistic goals of Central Current and the independence of its journalists.
In concert with the Board and the managing editor, the executive director helps shape the strategic vision of the organization and the coverage priorities that will fulfill it. The executive director, in conjunction with the chief of staff, will develop Central Current’s brand and oversee efforts to develop and grow a strong audience base. In doing so, the executive director safeguards the organization’s financial, legal, and reputational assets by building strong bonds in the community and guiding the work with sound judgment consistent with the core mission and values.
An ideal candidate has 3-5 years of experience in the following:
- working in a leadership position in business, news, or the nonprofit sector, with additional experience in communications, sales or marketing desirable.
- fundraising with a proven track record of cultivating, soliciting and securing gifts, grants and other revenue.
- of management experience, including budgeting, team leadership, and staff supervision.
- working in the digital environment, including with social media, website development, marketing.
- Ability to multitask in a highly flexible and evolving work environment.
- Respect for diversity, an understanding of Central New York’s cultural composition, and an ability to reflect those cultural elements in carrying out the mission of the organization.
- Highly adaptable, with a proven ability to take on new challenges and be open to new ideas and approaches,
- Ability to think strategically about multimedia journalism and the digital environment.
- Understanding of the work culture of a newsroom and how to lead a team of independent journalists.
- Familiarity with donor relations and fund development not required, but desirable.
- Understanding of community engagement strategies and tactics, and how to assess the impact of engagement programs and activities.
As a charming and vibrant college town, Syracuse boasts a dynamic atmosphere fueled by academic energy and an immense pride in its sports culture, fostering a passionate community of fans. Unlike the hustle and bustle of New York City, Syracuse offers a more manageable pace of life. People here are known for their blue-collar work ethic and down-to-earth demeanor. Situated at the heart of New York state, Syracuse’s central location provides convenient access to all the diverse experiences the state has to offer. Nature enthusiasts will find themselves in proximity to the Adirondacks and scenic spots like Green Lakes State Park, perfect for hiking and outdoor adventures. You can enjoy all four seasons here. And the cost of living here is very reasonable. Syracuse stands out as a fantastic place to raise a family, offering a harmonious blend of opportunities and a nurturing environment. Considering relocating for this job? Find your home here!