|January 18, 2024
|Magazines / Publishing
Texas Monthly has an immediate opening for a copy editor/web producer, who will work with the editorial team to ensure the accuracy, clarity, and precision of its published work. This copy editor, who will report to the copy chief, will edit digital copy, including new stories published on TexasMonthly.com, email newsletters, and archival material that is being republished or reformatted for the web, as well as contributing to digital initiatives and maintenance meant to help ensure our stories reach as wide an audience as possible. They will join a team of copy editors—the copy chief, another copy editor/web producer, and two print-focused copy editors—with a culture of collaboration and camaraderie.
Copy editors review articles for grammatical accuracy and adherence to our style guides, but they also go deeper into the text, flagging inconsistencies, unclear language, issues related to sensitivity or inclusiveness, or errors in logic on the sentence or paragraph level. Digital copy editors are also responsible for fact-checking articles as they edit, confirming proper nouns, dates, and quotes and descriptions of events where possible from publicly available sources.
This copy editor/web producer will also be responsible for optimizing digital components such as headlines, SEO headlines, tags, and meta descriptions, to ensure that stories have the best chance of reaching a broad digital audience. They will edit and organize the archives and taxonomical pages, regularly update displays on certain website pages, and assist with other digital projects as needed.
This full-time staff position offers stable employment and opportunities for growth at a nationally renowned media company that is growing in audience and revenue and has doubled its editorial staff over the past five years. Texas Monthly’s culture is defined by collegiality, curiosity, ambition, experimentation, the highest journalistic standards, and a passion for delivering the best storytelling about Texas to our millions of readers both inside our state and beyond it. This position also offers generous benefits, including a comprehensive health-insurance plan, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, and eligibility for performance-based bonuses. Compensation is competitive and negotiable. TM’s main office is in Austin; staffers based in Austin work out of our downtown office a minimum of two days a week. While exceptional candidates based elsewhere in the United States will be considered, strong preference will be given to candidates currently residing in, or willing to relocate to, Texas.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Vetting copy for grammar, spelling, style, clarity, and usage
- Fact-checking articles based on publicly available links/sources
- Providing feedback or queries to assigning editors on pieces as needed
- Checking that web stories have all the required components filled out correctly in WordPress
- Optimizing SEO and headline fields as needed for both search-engine traffic and social media traffic
- Curating and updating displays on certain pages on TexasMonthly.com
- Editing and organizing digital pages and projects as needed
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- A deep love for language and storytelling
- The ability to copy edit and fact-check across a range of subjects, including politics, the oil and gas industry, sports, culture, and food
- A strong familiarity and expertise with the authorities on language and editing, such as Chicago, AP, Bryan Garner, and Merriam-Webster
- A fastidiousness regarding details, deadlines, and organization
- The ability to communicate clearly and diplomatically
- An interest in SEO and digital strategy; prior experience with optimizing stories for the web is a strong plus
- Experience with writing, reporting, or other facets of journalism is preferred
- A general affinity for or knowledge of the state of Texas and its varied affairs is preferred
- Proofreading/editing ability in Spanish is a strong plus
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- At least two years of professional editing experience, preferably at a magazine or similar digital publication
If you are interested in this position, please fill out this application form by February 18, 2024. Applications will be considered only if they are submitted through that form.
Texas Monthly will review applications on a rolling basis and may reach out to some candidates before the filing deadline, but all applications received by the deadline will be reviewed. Promising applicants will be selected for an initial screening interview. Candidates who move forward in the hiring process from there will be asked to take an editing test. Finalists will then have an interview with the editor-in-chief and other major stakeholders, and another informational interview with copy editors on staff. Potential candidates who are interested in learning more about the position before applying can book an informational phone call with the director of editorial operations at this link.
Texas Monthly is committed to diversity and cultivating an inclusive environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.