|January 17, 2024
|Newspapers, Digital Media, Nonprofit
Piedmont Media, a nonprofit news organization in Northern Virginia, is seeking a full-time summer reporting intern for a 10-week paid internship. Start and end dates are flexible.
Located less than an hour from Washington, D.C., Piedmont Media operates two print and digital news sites serving Prince William and Fauquier counties. The organization has consistently produced award-winning journalism and is in the midst of a transformation of the online presence for two traditional newspapers — the Price William Times and the Fauquier Times — to more strongly connect with readers.
This role reports to the managing editor and will focus on general assignments and breaking news. Foreign language skills are highly desired, especially Spanish.
The ideal candidate:
· Is curious about people, community-minded and focused on strong storytelling.
· Is fluent and confident using digital tools, diagnosing audience trends and building strategies to engage readers online.
· Has prior reporting experience and demonstrated writing skills.
· Holds a deep belief that good journalism makes a difference, is a good teammate and is a supportive colleague who values others.
· Can commit to spending most of their time reporting in Prince William and Fauquier counties. Some remote work is possible and some visits our office in Warrenton, Va., may be required. But the goal is for the intern to focus on in person reporting in our two counties.
· Has a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Pay is $15 an hour for 10 40-hour weeks.
Piedmont Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, skin color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and 3-5 samples of your prior work to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than April 1.