|January 17, 2024
|Newspapers, Digital Media, Nonprofit
Piedmont Media, a nonprofit news organization in Northern Virginia, is seeking a reporter to cover Prince William County, Virginia’s second-largest county and the 10th most diverse county in America.
Located less than an hour from Washington, D.C., Piedmont Media operates two print and digital news sites serving Prince William and Fauquier counties. The organization has consistently produced award-winning journalism and is financially stable with strong philanthropic support. Ahead is a transformation of the online presence for two traditional weekly newspapers — the Prince William Times and the Fauquier Times — to more strongly connect with readers.
This role reports to the managing editor and will focus on general assignment stories and county government. The reporter will also write breaking news stories and help grow our coverage of diverse communities. Foreign language skills are highly desired, especially Spanish.
The ideal candidates:
- Is curious about people, community-minded and focused on strong storytelling.
- Is fluent and confident using digital tools, diagnosing audience trends and building strategies to engage readers online.
- Has 1-3 years of experience as a reporter, strong news judgment, demonstrated writing skills and a bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related major.
- Holds a deep belief that good journalism makes a difference, is a good teammate and is a supportive colleague who values others.
- Is willing to live in or close to Prince William County, Va. The reporter is expected to spend most of their time reporting and attending meetings and events in Prince William County. Some visits our office in Warrenton, Va., in adjacent Fauquier County, may be required.
- Has a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
About the role:
Salary. This is full-time position and pay will depend on experience. The target salary range for this role is $45,000 to $65,000 per year.
Benefits. Piedmont Media offers medical and dental insurance, paid time off including 13 paid holidays, and a 401K plan with a 3 percent company match.
Piedmont Media is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, skin color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition or any other protected characteristic. We are committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and samples of your prior work to email@example.com no later than Feb. 10.