PREP SPORTS REPORTER/COORDINATOR
Do you LOVE Sports? Are you actively engaged in the sports world?
Be an integral part of the Standard-Examiner, an award-winning daily newspaper in Northern Utah. This reporting position helps plan and produce engaging sports stories of broad, general interest within Ogden, Weber County and surrounding areas.
The prep sports reporter/coordinator will become ingrained in the local community, becoming an expert on the nearly 20 high schools and their athletics programs in our readership footprint.
The ideal candidate will collaborate with the sports editor in planning stories, game coverage, and photo and freelance assignments to provide coverage that is meaningful to the interested community of readers.
When hired, the prep sports reporter/coordinator will also take ownership of weekly and seasonal programming packages that spotlight high school athletes.
The ideal candidate:
- Is a strong representative of the newsroom to the public.
- Produces strong, compelling reporting with efficient processes and clean story drafts.
- Has a strong knowledge of social media and best practices for use in reporting.
- Is capable of utilizing camera equipment to shoot photographs on some assignments.
- Takes on special projects as requested by supervisors and as developed independently.
- Participates in news and newsroom planning meetings.
- Is available for evenings, nights and some weekends as sports schedules demand.
- Embrace our passion for community journalism and excitement for breaking news.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
We also collaborate with our sister paper, the Daily Herald in Provo, for shared reporting or resources in some high school sports settings.
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or another related field.
Qualifications: 1-3 years of journalism experience are preferred. Those with knowledge of Utah – its leaders, cities, topics important to residents and events – will have an advantage.
The ideal candidate should have a basic familiarity with the sports soccer, volleyball, baseball, softball, track and field, basketball and football. Candidates with demonstrated expertise in these sports, or in reporting on them, will have an advantage.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to report on a wide range of stories.
- Proficiency in all social media platforms.
- Ability to multitask and produce content for both print and online.
- Organized with strong time-management skills.
- Natural curiosity and news judgment.
- Ability to dig for and generate stories that are meaningful to the community.
- Ability to befriend and gain the trust of communities, sources and leaders.
Please send resumes and 3 published writing samples to Ryan Christner, Managing Editor at