|Date Posted||November 20, 2023|
Supervisor: VP for Publications
Status: Full-time Exempt
The Peterson Institute for International Economics (PIIE) is an independent nonprofit, nonpartisan research organization dedicated to strengthening prosperity and human welfare in the global economy through expert analysis and practical policy solutions. Areas of research include trade, economic, monetary, and fiscal policy; development; climate policy; inequality; regional and country-specific economic issues; and the work of global institutions such as the IMF, World Bank, and WTO. The Institute is the home of more than 50 scholars with expertise on these and other issues. Its award-winning work is widely recognized and cited regularly in major news outlets. PIIE regularly receives more news coverage than peer think tanks per dollar.
Join a dynamic and collaborative communications team that takes pride in producing news-driven, fact-based, and engaging content for international policymakers, journalists, global business leaders, educators and students, and the general public.
The Media Relations and Outreach Manager’s primary responsibility is to publicize the work of the Institute and its scholars to news media. The role also initiates and supports outreach to key stakeholders on Capitol Hill, federal agencies, and other policy related groups. She/he designs and implements communications campaigns and other strategies to maximize the policy impact of the organization’s research, expertise, and events. The incumbent works in close collaboration with many staff members, researchers, and senior leadership. This position is a hybrid position with three days a week of in-office work based in PIIE’s Washington, DC office in Dupont Circle.
Duties and Responsibilities
News Media Outreach (60%)
- Develops and manages implementation of strategies for increasing PIIE news coverage in collaboration with PIIE scholars, communications and events staff, and senior leadership.
- Serves as primary contact for journalists, providing timely responses to interview requests and other queries, and coordinating with senior research staff, including during evenings and weekends.
- Stays up-to-date on news related to economics and policy, and journalists covering PIIE subject areas to identify communications opportunities and inform strategy.
- Cultivates new and existing relationships with journalists and maintains media lists in Salesforce for targeted outreach campaigns. Works with PIIE scholars on developing and maintaining media contacts.
- Works independently and with senior staff to craft compelling pitches for news media coverage of research, op-eds, and speaking opportunities.
- Consults with communications and events staff to develop communications campaigns, determine feasibility of outreach plans, and coordinate tasks. Advises teams on timing of publications and outreach campaigns.
- Advises PIIE leadership and scholars on news media strategy, including which news organizations to prioritize, public speaking tips, and talking points. Arranges for and conducts media training as needed.
- Develops outreach products for PIIE research, including biannual and other regularly scheduled economic projections and trackers.
- Initiates, plans, and manages briefings for journalists, including incorporating press calls into communications campaigns.
- Schedules and manages TV and radio interviews, including on-site.
- Tracks news coverage using media intelligence tools and other monitoring methods. Prepares data and examples of impact for regular reporting internally and to PIIE stakeholders.
- Writes and distributes press releases and media advisories.
- Works with Social Media and Digital Communications Manager on social media strategy. Helps monitor media impact across social media platforms.
- Works in close collaboration with communications department colleagues on strategy for the Institute’s weekly newsletter, including compiling news articles to feature and reviewing the newsletter for consistency in messaging and outreach priorities.
Event and Policymaker Outreach (40%)
- Works with PIIE leadership and event organizers to plan newsmaking events. Helps recruit high-profile speakers, liaises with speakers and their staff, prepares background material for moderators, and advises on event format and substance.
- Communicates PIIE research to congressional and other relevant government offices.
- Develops and hosts briefings with PIIE researchers for congressional staff.
- Builds contacts with policy and media staff in congressional offices, assists with contacting media representatives of government offices and legislative offices.
- Advises on outreach campaigns to government stakeholders to attract more event attendees and engagement.
- Acts as liaison for press at major events.
- Works with outside organizations to coordinate communications campaigns for joint projects and events.
- Bachelors degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, communications, or related field, or relevant work experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including ability to distill complex messages into clear and concise language.
- Subject-matter knowledge of economics, policy, international affairs, policy, and/or related fields.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill or government agencies is a plus.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Track record of media placement success.
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility, resourcefulness, and news judgment.
- Availability after business hours, on weekends and holidays, as required.
- Crisis and reputation management experience.
- Nonprofit background a plus.
PIIE offers a highly competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage; eligibility to participate in a generous retirement savings plan (after one year of employment, PIIE contributes 10 percent of the employee’s salary each month to a retirement account and the employee becomes fully vested after three years); competitive paid time off for vacation and sick leave; and significant subsidies for tuition in education and training programs.
COVID-19 Vaccine Policy
PIIE priorities the safety of its staff and surrounding community. As part of that commitment, PIIE requires that all staff in its office are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19. All staff must submit proof of complete vaccination against COVID-19 to be in the PIIE office. Individuals who have a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination or who object to being vaccinated based on a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation.
Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Media Relations and Outreach Manager” in the subject line.
The Peterson Institute for International Economics is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
No telephone calls please.