|Date Posted||November 16, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Roswell Daily Record, a well known alien-connected newspaper, is looking for a hands-on Managing Editor. We are a 5-days-a-week newspaper located in a small, conservative-leaning town. We are seeking a Managing Editor to oversee our newsroom staff. We are looking for new, innovative ways to reach audiences as well as build an even better strong print foundation. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills and is detail and deadline orientated. They will have proven leadership experience in managing staff and qualities that inspire excellence.
• Job Overview:- Our ideal candidate has proven experience managing a news team and leadership qualities that inspire creativity and excellence. Ability to encourage outstanding journalism and an understanding of how newspapers still can serve their communities in new and traditional ways is a plus. Experience being able to develop digital readership is also important. The Managing Editor is responsible for management of the newsroom budget. They will encourage best practices in staff management and fair recruitment. We are an equal opportunity employer and offer a generous benefits packet. - Authority to hire, terminate and discipline editorial employees.Reports any issues to the Publisher and General Manager.- Delegate responsibilities.- Resolve customer complaints and is able to anticipate and resolve issues before they become a major problem- Set and enforce deadlines, guidelines, policies and practices for editorial department. Also aides in the evolution on creating a "breaking news" platform with the potential for video expansion,
• Reports to: Publisher and General Manager• Work Schedule: Newsroom hours vary by daily news/sports/production demands, but this position is generally scheduled Monday through Friday during the day. Flexibility required to ensure newsroom is staffed on holidays and other scheduled days or nights off. Also must be available after hours and on Saturdays as needed.
• Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree and/or 1-5 years editorial/news experience preferred. Management experience is essential.
• Responsibilities/Duties: Responsible for all aspects of editorial operations, including financial and news budgets. Duties include internal and external communications, representing the newspaper at official meetings and functions, working on the RDR management team, editorials and letters to the editor.
• Required Skills:
- Strong leadership-Management experience
- Ability to coach and build a team
- Strong verbal and communication skills
- Strong organization- Writing and copy editing
- A strong command of the English language and AP style
- Understanding of professional journalism ethics
- Ability to fact check stories, and check for legal and ethical concerns
- Reporting, photography and pagination experience
- An understanding of page layout- WordPress, InDesign and Content Management System (CMS) experience necessary.
To apply, send resume along with cover letter to Publisher Barbara Beck at firstname.lastname@example.org