|Date Posted||November 14, 2023|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
Entertainment Contributing Writer
Send cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Lauren Weigle at firstname.lastname@example.org with Entertainment Contributor in the subject line to be considered.
Heavy, a leading news and information website, seeks to partner with ambitious, passionate freelance contributors to cover specific entertainment verticals.
We're looking for people whose digital journalism chops match their passion for the content. Articles will also be posted to Facebook. Opportunities are available covering The Voice, HGTV, American Idol, and Hallmark.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate:
- Deep knowledge of and passion for entertainment writing and reporting
- Ability and desire to react rapidly to breaking news
- Exceptional digging and reporting skills
- Ability to watch and report on TV shows
- Strong multi-tasking and communication skills
- Ability to quickly navigate social media — especially Instagram, Twitter (X) and Facebook — to spot breaking news and find additional information after a story breaks
- Ability to produce clean and polished copy
Work autonomously and remotely. Compensation scales with performance.
Heavy is a platform where professional independent journalists can reach large audiences and earn significant revenue. But compatible candidates are rare. Successful contributors possess all of the following:
- Expertise: deep authority and trustworthiness in subject matter
- Independence: love being an entrepreneur
- Motor: enthusiasm to create a high volume of articles
- Polish: skill to publish professional work without oversight.
Contributors choose what to publish and when, innovating as they learn what catches fire with their audience. Compatible entertainment contributors are comfortable writing about the biggest stories of the day, adept at breaking news personally or spotting news, expert at reaching audiences through Facebook, and able to produce a high volume of timely content while adhering to the platform’s standards. Heavy's editors are available for support — tools, data, formats and best practices — but do not make assignments.
Contributors receive a revenue share based on the content's performance, paid monthly within five days business days of month's end. The most successful contributors on the platform have earned $10,000 or more per month by publishing a high volume of quality reporting that audiences want to read. They have also battled ebbs and flows in traffic.