|February 23, 2024
Hearst Connecticut Media Group’s journalists cover communities across the state, serving readers across platforms, including our sites, app, newsletters, social media accounts and more for eight daily and 14 weekly newspapers.
We’re looking for an enterprising, audience-focused and collaborative Trending Reporter, who will find unique angles to cover the most topical stories of the day in Connecticut.
This could include everything from using social media and other tools to find and report on the issues residents care most about, to breaking down complex topics into explanatory pieces, to writing daily stories on all things Connecticut in the world of entertainment, including celebrity sightings and state connections in TV, movies and music.
This reporter has an eye for a trend, before it becomes a trend. They have the ability to write stories that are of high interest and often become the source of conversation among readers. Furthermore, the reporter will recognize opportunities to write strong local content, but also stories that will resonate across Connecticut.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with editors, other reporters, photographers and audience team members to tell impactful stories across platforms that engage and retain local subscribers and other readers
- Reports and writes quickly and effectively to break news online and follows up when appropriate with more in-depth enterprise pieces
- Demonstrates a comfort level with analyzing and interpreting metrics and uses them to inform coverage decisions in real-time and the long-term
- Effectively shoots and edits photos and video to accompany stories
- Experience writing or editing at a newspaper, news website or magazine
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, English, communications or related field preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
- Ability to speak Spanish or a second language a plus
- Valid driver’s license and a working vehicle are required for this position
Send a cover letter, resume and clips for review.
HCMG is committed to growing and retaining a more diverse workforce that better reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage all people of working age, who are traditionally underrepresented in media to apply, including women, people of color, applicants with disabilities, those from the LGBTQ+ community and veterans.
Some great candidates may not check all the boxes for this role. If you’re a passionate, dedicated worker who's interested in Hearst Connecticut Media Group but don’t have all the skills listed here, please still reach out and tell us more about what you bring to the table.
This full-time job with benefits is based in Connecticut and is not eligible for remote candidates.