Associate Production Manager
NewsHour Productions LLC
Washington, District of Columbia
|Date Posted||September 15, 2023|
Title: Associate Production Manager
Status : Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Sr Director, Production Management
The Associate Production Manager (APM) works directly with the Senior Director, Production Management assisting in all phases of the technical and operational activities for the nightly broadcast of the PBS NewsHour, Washington Week and PBS News Weekend. This position will work a rotating shift that can include weekends. This is a SAG-AFTRA role.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION :
- Attend, via call, virtual or in person, the editorial and production meetings related to the show(s) under production.
- Coordinate, acquire and validate live remotes from studios, IP sources such as Skype, LiveU, and Satellites, fiber or transmission sources.
- Coordinate and maintain schedule for remotes and technical requirements in the control room and studio.
- Schedule and create work orders for manpower and resource allocations.
- Manage assignments of editors and ensure quality of product.
- Work closely with Producers to ensure that remote studio needs are met in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate traffic needs with the Engineer in Charge.
- Update production database of studio remote facilities worldwide.
- Assist with logistics and budgetary oversight of the daily program.
- ENG operation and edit facility oversight.
- Fill in for the Director, Production Management as needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of edit room capabilities, tape segment technical deliverables and acceptable delivery methods.
- Serve in the control room for production pre-tapes and
thenews broadcasts; remote oversight as permitted.
- Coordinate video acquisition from a variety of external sources to obtain necessary video elements for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Support video needs, ingest video and route feeds for daily evening broadcast and livestreams.
- Alert producers of rights restrictions for incoming footage.
- Monitor and react to news events.
- Oversee any ENG crew operations and logistics planning, creating schedules, crew calls, monitor overtime and meal penalties, ensure crews have adequate information about details of assignments and the equipment required for any shoot, and other necessary duties, following union requirements.
- Track petty cash usage for field operations.
- Hire freelance crews and maintain; update database of crew resources.
- Train freelancers as well as production assistants in Production Management functions.
- Schedules and assign hair and makeup for talent, on-air guests, and remote shoots.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong interest in creative problem solving under live news constraints.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Prior experience in satellite and fiber transmission is a plus.
- Advance knowledge of navigating the internet effectively, operate myriad software applications.
- Familiarity with AVID iNews, Interplay and SchedulAll programs are a plus.
- Ability to comprehend and communicate technical concepts easily.
- Job requires positive attitude, team player and a calm demeanor, able to perform under pressure.
- Ability to work occasional nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- 3-5 years of prior television experience, preferably in a news environment.
- Strong organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate across all levels.
- Financial aptitude with a proficiency in Microsoft Office Suites.
- Or equivalent combination of training and experience.
WETA and NewsHour Productions are Washington, DC established media and news organizations. We are a largely local workforce based out of the Campbell Place office in Arlington, VA. WETA and NewsHour Productions value employee flexibility when possible. Most positions based in our Arlington, VA office will be onsite or hybrid, depending upon the role.
WETA and its subsidiary NewsHour Productions LLC serve local and national public media audiences by producing and distributing content of intellectual integrity and cultural merit. Through broadcast, digital and community services, the organization offers compelling, diverse programming on five television channels, including primary channel WETA PBS, and on WETA Classical, the exclusive home for classical music in the nation’s capital; produces a portfolio of national television productions, including PBS NewsHour, recognized globally for bringing balanced, in-depth news coverage to all Americans; creates impactful documentaries with longtime production partners Ken Burns and Prof. Henry Louis Gates, Jr.; features a variety of content offerings on weta.org, WETA Passport, the PBS Video App and the WETA Classical App; and serves communities near and far with education and engagement initiatives that contribute to the company’s mission of public service.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WETA/NewsHour Productions is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. Fostering a culture of mutual respect is a top priority and something we take very seriously.
Employment at WETA/NewsHour Productions is based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, age, ethnicity or ethnic origin, religion or belief, sex (including pregnancy), physical, mental or sensory ability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. We are also committed to demonstrating fair and equitable systems, practices, and processes related to how we recruit, develop, retain, promote, reward, compensate, and terminate talent.
We know that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is fundamental to the success of our business and our people, and we will continue to recognize it as part of our guiding principles.