Join the Michigan Advance and give readers hard-hitting government coverage that connects state policy to Michiganders’ lives.
The Michigan Advance is an award-winning, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization that covers state government, politics and policy. It is staffed by veteran Michigan reporters and is dedicated to its mission of relentless investigative journalism that sheds light on how decisions in Lansing are made and their impact on individuals across the Great Lakes State.
Part of States Newsroom, the Advance believes in enlisting and empowering journalists to do impactful, ambitious work.
Based in Lansing, this experienced reporter will thrive in a collaborative culture, possess great news judgment and demonstrate the ability to develop a beat to create compelling, engaging journalism. The senior reporter will cover the Legislature, state agencies and statewide elections. Possible beats include the economy, civil rights, education and health care. The senior reporter will produce daily and enterprise stories, take photos and share content on social media. The senior reporter will also help mentor reporters on staff and assist the Editor in making decisions regarding the outlet’s coverage.
The ideal candidate will know how to track trending topics and hold officials accountable through deep source-building and public records requests. The reporting will take readers beyond press releases, providing a deeper understanding of the issues.
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on Michigan government and officials
- Contribute regularly to the Advance’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editor
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Assist the Editor in directing and supporting newer reporters
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the Editor and colleagues
- Collaborate with other reporters on projects and share research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories
- Write the daily newsletter
- Fill in for the Editor when she’s out by assigning, editing and publishing stories
We’re looking for candidates with at least five years previous news reporting and/or editing experience, sound news judgment, flexibility and the ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. States Newsroom journalists are expected to produce at least four posts per week.
Authorization to work in the United States is required. All States Newsroom employees are required to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of hire.
The minimum salary for this position is $65,000 and rises with experience. Relocation stipend will be considered. Our generous benefits package includes:
- Premium-free platinum health care for employees and their families (i.e., nothing comes out of your paycheck!)
- 4 weeks of vacation per year
- 2 weeks of personal leave per year
- 20 hours of paid volunteer time per year
- 7 holidays and 4 floating holidays
- $75 monthly cell phone reimbursement
- $200 cell phone replacement benefit every two years
- $75 monthly fitness benefit
- 401K with up to 3% match
- 12 weeks of parental leave
- Annual DeleteMe subscription
ABOUT OUR CULTURE
States Newsroom is dedicated to producing journalism at all levels – from quick hit to investigative – but we also aim to be supportive, welcoming and positive.
We believe in creating sustainable careers for journalists on the crucial state government beat. States Newsroom’s mission is to connect people to the power that shapes their daily lives through relentless reporting and incisive commentary on state government and policy. Journalism is a powerful force for social change, uniquely suited to challenging systemic inequality and racism. Our goal is to build an organization that fulfills that mission.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring. We are always working to better represent our communities and are supported in these efforts by a network-wide Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice committee.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and at least three links or clips to jobs-at-statesnewsroom.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.