Palo Alto Editor
Palo Alto, California
|Date Posted||September 12, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires, Digital Media|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
As an editor, you are a jack of all trades. You can lead an enterprise project, scope out and assign coverage of the most important daily news, interact with readers, edit expertly and with flair and manage a website so that it's our community's go-to news source.
As the editor of Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly, you will be at the heart of a city filled with smart and engaged readers and lead a team of journalists who are covering cutting edge issues normally reserved for metropolitan areas.
Our ideal candidate is familiar with the Palo Alto area and has strong hard news experience. The Palo Alto Weekly and PaloAltoOnline.com are part of Embarcadero Media, an independent multimedia publishing company with seven local news websites serving the San Francisco Peninsula and the Tri-Valley in the East Bay and three newspapers. The company was founded in 1979.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or a related field.
- 5-8 years of experience in journalism, with a focus on news.
- Strong editing and writing skills, with a keen eye for detail and grammar.
- Passion for and knowledge of local news and a desire to serve the public through reader-oriented journalism.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead a team of editors, reporters and contributors.
- Knowledge of digital publishing software and content management systems.
- Understanding of analytics and SEO best practices.
- Knowledge of the Palo Alto community
- Ability to work collaboratively with other departments and stakeholders.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Inclusive communication skills
Embarcadero Media is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and supported. We strive to provide work-life balance and a culture of trust, transparency and collaboration. This is a benefited position, offering health insurance and a 401(k) savings plan, paid vacation, paid sick time and paid company holidays. The pay range for this position is $66K-$70K, depending on experience. We work hybrid, with some in-office days expected.
To apply, please go to https://em.bamboohr.com/careers/23 and submit a cover letter detailing how your experience fits the needs of the position. Also attach your resume, three articles you've written and links to two publications or sections you've edited. No phone calls, please.