|Date Posted||September 11, 2023|
Building Salt Lake, an independently operated media company covering urban commercial real estate since 2014, is looking to hire a news-obsessed writer to join our growing editorial team.
The perfect fit for this role will work as a member of a small team to report, build and maintain relationships within commercial real estate on the Wasatch Front. This position must sit in the Salt Lake Metro Area. There is no in-office requirement.
Building Salt Lake overview
BSL is an industry-leading news platform covering urban planning and commercial real estate development in one of America’s fastest-growing metro areas.
We are locally owned, independent media. None of our sponsors or advertisers have a say in our coverage. Our mission is to provide facts-first, values-based, original reporting. We value smart growth, good urban design and preserving and enhancing Salt Lake’s urban spaces.
About the newsroom
We value breaking news and pride ourselves on being the first to report on new developments and emerging trends in Salt Lake City and across the Wasatch Front. In addition, we report on important policy developments that affect the industry and the quality of urban development in the area.
Roles and responsibilities
- Report and write roughly three stories per week of varying lengths and types about commercial real estate along the Wasatch Front. Stories will include a mix of briefs and reported enterprise articles.
- Cover breaking news stories and deeper enterprise reporting about commercial real estate along the Wasatch Front, from Ogden to Provo, with an emphasis on Salt Lake City.
- Snap photos, be responsible for all image content in stories.
- Work the beat, getting to know key players in the commercial real estate industry.
- File stories in our content management system.
- Write one email per week that highlights top news from the week.
What are we looking for?
- We’d prefer working with someone with some experience in business journalism, but let’s talk if you’re excited about this opportunity but don’t have formal training or experience.
- Great writing skills.
- Strong news judgment.
- A willingness to learn about this industry.
- The personality of a self-starter who wants to build their voice and journalistic brand through Building Salt Lake. We are looking for someone to take ownership as a representative of the brand.
- A commitment to seeking diverse stories and sourcing.
- Knowledge of commercial real estate, urban planning and urban design is a plus.
This position pays $2,000 per month; contract to be reconsidered Jan. 1, 2024. This is designed to be a flexible schedule so that you can find a pace that works for you.
To apply, please send a brief email stating your interest and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.