|Date Posted||September 11, 2023|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing|
To apply send your resume and a thoughtful cover letter expressing your interest in working for Dimensions and detailing why you are a good fit for this position. Please also let us know where you saw this job listing. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Submit applications to email@example.com.
Dimensions Educational Research Foundation’s mission is to inspire joy and wonder in children, educators, and communities with a heart-centered approach to early education. Dimensions Educational Research Foundation (Dimensions) is a nonprofit organization which consists of three initiatives: Dimensions Education Programs, Exchange Press, and Nature Explore. The work environment at Dimensions reflects the environments we promote for early childhood. We are a close-knit team that shares a passion for the early childhood field. Everyone wears multiple hats and sets a high standard for the quality and impact of our work. We believe that cultivating a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture is essential, not only for our own community, but because we believe in modeling these principles for our professional networks and field, as well as for the future of our children.
The Exchange Editor-in-Chief leads our editorial and production team in producing quality content that engages and inspires readers online and in a quarterly print publication, playing a major role in significantly expanding the content, reach, and impact of Exchange. Exchange Press has been a leader in the early childhood field for over 45 years. We aim to uplift the work of early childhood education and care professionals by connecting them with ideas, innovative practices, research, and strategies from diverse and inspiring practitioners. We are in a critical transition stage of building our online presence through the Exchange Content Hub. The Content Hub offers us the opportunity to expand and supplement our long-standing print publication with more timely and dynamic content. It also provides the Editor-in-Chief with the opportunity to incorporate their vision for this exciting new direction. The Editor-in-Chief will be responsible for developing the editorial calendar for both print and online content; recruiting and collaborating with authors; and ensuring that the philosophy, brand image, vision, and mission of the publication are represented through the content and design choices for both the print publication and the Content Hub. The Editor-in-Chief is a motivated connector and collaborator, creative and big picture thinker, and team player with a passion for the early childhood field. The Editor-in-Chief reports to the Chief Information Officer and manages a small team.
- Develop editorial calendars for both the print publication and the Content Hub, including evaluating pitches, recruiting content, editing/proofreading, and writing.
- With the production team, produce four powerful print publications a year.
- Achieve regular posting of new and engaging digital content for the Content Hub.
- Review and enforce publication standards, including philosophy, tone of voice, style guide, and branding.
- Cultivate, consult, and build relationships with multiple constituent groups on topic areas, trends, thought leadership, and evaluation of content.
- Engage members for story sharing, feedback, ideas, and sources.
- In collaboration with production team, engage nontraditional readers through creative storytelling, including photo essays, comics, infographics data reporting, and audio and video content.
- Ensure application of our diversity, inclusion, and equity practices in all aspects of relationship and content development.
- Support strategic development, including use of analytics and tracking systems, to maximize reach, content quality, audience engagement, and impact.
- Represent the publication publicly at conferences and other events as appropriate.
- Strong commitment to advancing the mission, core values, and goals of Dimensions Educational Research Foundation.
- At least 5 years successful experience in writing, publishing, and editing, preferably in the early childhood field.
- Understanding of print production, from theme development to press production.
- Aptitude for strategic thinking and the use of metrics in developing content strategy, assessing effectiveness, and achieving goals.
- Knowledge of digital, non-digital, and integrated media, with ability to edit content for the web and an ability to help manage digital content.
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills, including proficiency in AP Style.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word. Experience with WordPress and social media platforms preferred.
- Highly motivated self-starter who demonstrates sound judgment, maturity, initiative, and accountability in behavior and attitude.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work with and relate to people of diverse backgrounds in keeping with our diversity, equity, and inclusion practices.
- Network of relationships with potentially influential sources and contributors or partnerships preferred.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Some potential applicants are less likely to apply for a job if they do not meet every qualification listed. Studies show this holds true for women and people of color in particular. We are committed to build a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace that fuels our innovation. If you are excited about this role, but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway.
$62-72,000 full-time equivalent
Benefits include health insurance (including dental and vision), company paid long-term disability, substantial childcare discount, generous PTO, paid holidays, and a supportive family-friendly team culture. Supplemental insurance and 401(k) are available as employee paid benefits.
Dimensions has a primary office location in Lincoln, Nebraska. This position can be office-based, remote, or hybrid.