|Date Posted||September 08, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
POSITION: Associate Director of News (ADN)
ORGANIZATION AND DEPARTMENT: Archdiocese of New York – The Good Newsroom
The Archdiocese of New York serves the pastoral and spiritual needs of 2.5 million Catholics in nearly 300 parishes throughout three boroughs of New York City and seven counties to the north. The Good NewsroomTM is Archdiocese’s digital news outlet, created to better communicate to the Archdiocese’s faithful, as well as the broader community, information about the good works of the Catholic Church within the region. The newsroom reaches and informs many thousands of people via its dedicated website, social media channels, App, and e-newsletter.
Learn more at thegoodnewsroom.org.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, the ADN will oversee all news planning, manage the day-to-day newsroom activities, and report on successful news coverage and departmental progress.
The ADN will oversee a department of three professionals and will be the primary backup to the Director of Marketing.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- In collaboration with key colleagues, create a communication plan. Develop monthly, weekly, and daily news calendars.
- With input from internal and external sources, identify content requirements and develop story ideas.
- Assign articles to freelance writers, videographers, and photographers, as needed.
- Ensure consistent communication of the organization’s culture and values across all channels: website, social media, email, and other e-communications.
- Develop a high-performing team through excellent mentoring, coaching, and management.
- Contribute to the management of the departmental budget.
- A bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or other related fields is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
Proven experience managing a team in digital publishing and a minimum of 5 years of experience in a newsroom (print and/or broadcast.)
Significant experience writing, editing and/or video/audio production, along with a portfolio demonstrating competency in these types of communication projects.
- Able to manage multiple priorities and projects on very tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated creativity in conceiving new content and messaging and leveraging it across websites, social media, and email.
- Experience working with diverse groups of people and telling stories about and with underrepresented communities.
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church and some familiarity with the Archdiocese of New York is required.
- Fluency in Spanish is highly desirable.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and be able to travel throughout the geographic region of the Archdioceses of New York. Ability to work flexible hours, including some weekends and evenings.
- A writing test will be required.
Please e-mail your resume, along with a one-page cover letter describing why you are interested in joining the Archdiocese of New York and The Good Newsroom, as well as what makes you uniquely qualified for the position, to:
Ms. Dale Corey, Director of Research
3D Leadership, LLC
The Archdiocese of New York is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply.