Texas Policy & Impact Reporter
LoneStar.com / Advance Local
|Date Posted||September 07, 2023|
Diversity & Inclusion are at the core of our mission to strengthen and empower the communities we serve.
This position pays between $55,000 and $70,000 annually.
This is a remote position with a preference of being based within the state of Texas.
Are you a journalist who enjoys letting Texans know how public policy and politics impact their daily lives? LoneStarLive.com has an opening for a reporter who will focus on topics that resonate with Texans and help them understand what they can do to effect positive change.
Experience covering justice issues, the state Capitol and demographic changes for a digital media company is preferred. This position will involve reporting on daily and breaking news, along with longer-term investigative pieces.
LoneStarLive.com is a dynamic new brand from Advance Local, one of the largest privately held media companies in the United States. This is a work-from-home opportunity, with preferred locations being Austin, San Antonio or Houston.
What you’ll be doing:
- Provide continuous coverage of topics that resonate with Texans
- Develop in-depth investigative projects
- Simultaneously manage multiple assignments, self-edit and produce photos and videos in addition to writing clean and interesting copy
- Contribute to podcasts and videos
For this position, we are looking for an experienced reporter who:
- Can work with speed, creativity, accuracy and good judgment
- Seeks to be the first to accurately report news
- Engages on social media platforms regularly and follows trends
- Has humility, relentless curiosity and brings passion to reporting
- Has skills in digital storytelling via text, photo and video
Our ideal candidates will have the following:
- A degree in journalism or communications or a combination of education and related work experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing
- Five or more years’ experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- The ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- A solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- A demonstrated capability of capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- A proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package with affordable options for your healthcare including medical, dental and vision plans, mental health support options, flexible spending accounts, fertility assistance, a competitive 401(k) plan to help plan for your future, generous paid time off, paid parental and caregiver leave and an employee assistance program to support your work/life balance, optional legal assistance, life insurance options, as well as flexible holidays to honor cultural diversity.
Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media includes ZeroSum, Headline Group, Advance Aviation, Advance 360 Health, Aduna, Advance 360, Advance 360 Education, Advance Local Events, Advance National Solutions, Advance Travel & Tourism, Cloud Theory, Hoot Interactive, Reckon, Red Clay Media, Search Optics, Subtext, MLive Media Group, Advance Ohio, Alabama Media Group, NJ Advance Media, Advance Media NY, MassLive Media, Oregonian Media Group, Staten Island Media Group, PA Media Group.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.