|Date Posted||September 07, 2023|
Diversity & Inclusion are at the core of our mission to strengthen and empower the communities we serve.
This position pays between $40,000 and $55,000 annually.
This is a remote position with a preference for candidates based in the Gulf Coast.
Advance Local has an exciting opportunity for a Breaking and Trending News Reporter for GulfLive.com, a website dedicated to covering the people and places along the Gulf Coast.
As a regional website, we seek a vibrant candidate who can identify and report news that appeals to a wide spectrum of audiences and who can flourish in a fast-paced, collaborative setting. Your work should inform, entertain, and challenge our readers.
A successful candidate will comfortably write about weather, opening and closing of businesses, and viral stories that capture our reader’s attention. Other must-have skills include robust news judgment, a keen understanding of social and SEO audiences, and the knack for uncovering stories that speak to the diverse audience.
What you’ll be doing:
- Generate original news and aggregate headlines from various news and social channels
- Collaborate closely with the Social Producer to break news and optimize our digital presence
- Manage multiple assignments simultaneously while delivering immediate and accurate reporting on major public safety and breaking news stories
- Craft engaging copy that not only resonates with readers, but also leverages SEO and social best practices
For this position, we are looking for a Reporter:
- Who can work with speed, creativity, accuracy and good judgment
- Really want to be first to report something
- Engage on social media platforms regularly and follow trends
- Are news junkies with a pulse on the big stories happening at any given time
- Have humility, relentless curiosity and bring passion to your reporting
- Have skills in digital storytelling via text, photo and video
Our ideal candidates will have the following:
- Degree in journalism or communications or equivalent education and related work experience with a proven ability in journalism reporting and writing
- Two or more years’ experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
- Demonstrated capability in capitalizing on high-value topics by engaging audiences in frequency and urgency
- Mastery of social media and digital interaction
- Proven ability to utilize a broad set of tools to tell stories and engage the audience
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package with affordable options for your healthcare including medical, dental and vision plans, mental health support options, flexible spending accounts, fertility assistance, a competitive 401(k) plan to help plan for your future, generous paid time off, paid parental and caregiver leave and an employee assistance program to support your work/life balance, optional legal assistance, life insurance options, as well as flexible holidays to honor cultural diversity.
Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media includes ZeroSum, Headline Group, Advance Aviation, Advance 360 Health, Aduna, Advance 360, Advance 360 Education, Advance Local Events, Advance National Solutions, Advance Travel & Tourism, Cloud Theory, Hoot Interactive, Reckon, Red Clay Media, Search Optics, Subtext, MLive Media Group, Advance Ohio, Alabama Media Group, NJ Advance Media, Advance Media NY, MassLive Media, Oregonian Media Group, Staten Island Media Group, PA Media Group.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please Human Resources and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.