|Date Posted||September 07, 2023|
Diversity & Inclusion are at the core of our mission to strengthen and empower the communities we serve.
This position pays between $52,000 and $70,000 annually.
This is a remote position Based in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Advance Local has an exciting opportunity for a Saints Reporter in New Orleans for GulfLive.com / Advance Local.
As a Saints Reporter, your coverage will include smart commentary, engaging profiles and unique stories that speak to a diverse audience of sports fans. We are a digitally focused, multimedia newsroom, and on any given day you may find yourself writing a long-form narrative or a series of incremental updates to a breaking sports report, recording podcast audio, and optimizing your post for a social or search-driven audience.
What you'll be doing:
- Provide reporting and analysis of pro sports
- Breaking news and feature reporting, as well as monitoring coverage and analysis on other sports news outlets and aggregating relevant reporting onto our site
- Contribute to the department’s traffic and enterprise goals
- Report and create journalistically sound digital posts that are balanced and factual, timely and topical, and well-sourced
- Use effective techniques of digital journalism: frequent posting, appropriate aggregation, engaging readers on social media, and monitoring traffic to better understand what is connecting with readers
- Self-publish articles, photos and videos, and be able to learn the Arc publishing system or any future CMS
For this position, we are looking for candidates:
- Who are versatile and have the ability to write authoritatively
- Driven, dynamic reporters and writers with the ability to deliver a high volume of content every day
- Able to proactively identify stories that are trending and respond quickly, keeping the quality of content consistent and engaging
- With flexibility to cover what is needed, which may be during early shifts, nights or weekends
- Who can succeed in a collaborative environment while also possessing the ability to work independently
Our ideal candidates will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or equivalent education and related work experience with a proven ability in journalism reporting and writing
- Minimum eight years’ experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing, including minimum 2 years of pro or college sports beat experience
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience for a top-tier professional or college sports team
- Ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
- Experience with search engine optimization practices
- Experience using social media to source and promote content
- Demonstrated capability to react quickly and deliver audience as news breaks on the beat
- Understanding of the methods and tools used to deliver content across a variety of platforms
- Understanding the imperatives of multiple platforms – desktop, mobile, etc.
- Comfortable with being a guest or hosting podcasts and video features
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors
Advance Local Media offers competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package with affordable options for your healthcare including medical, dental and vision plans, mental health support options, flexible spending accounts, fertility assistance, a competitive 401(k) plan to help plan for your future, generous paid time off, paid parental and caregiver leave and an employee assistance program to support your work/life balance, optional legal assistance, life insurance options, as well as flexible holidays to honor cultural diversity.
Advance Local Media, one of the largest media groups in the United States, which operates the leading news and information companies in more than 20 cities, reaching 58+ million people monthly with our quality, real-time journalism and community engagement. Our company is built upon the values of Integrity, Customer-first, Inclusiveness, Collaboration and Forward-looking. For more information about Advance Local, please visit www.advancelocal.com.
Advance Local Media includes ZeroSum, Headline Group, Advance Aviation, Advance 360 Health, Aduna, Advance 360, Advance 360 Education, Advance Local Events, Advance National Solutions, Advance Travel & Tourism, Cloud Theory, Hoot Interactive, Reckon, Red Clay Media, Search Optics, Subtext, MLive Media Group, Advance Ohio, Alabama Media Group, NJ Advance Media, Advance Media NY, MassLive Media, Oregonian Media Group, Staten Island Media Group, PA Media Group.
Advance Local Media is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, encouraging applications from people of all backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.