|Date Posted||September 06, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Fresno Bee is seeking a creative, collaborative editor who will be responsible for leading the newsroom’s four-person team of community-funded journalists.
The ideal editor will have the story-identifying and story-writing skills of a great writer or editor; the reader-engagement skills of a strong social media editor; the statistical knowledge of an analytics expert; and the coaching skills of a great leader.
This editor will ensure that The Bee’s journalists produce unique, audience-focused coverage consistent with McClatchy’s longstanding mission of independent, essential local news that serves the public. This team’s coverage focuses on Latino communities, Education, Engagement and Madera County and seeks experimentation, innovation and new ways to reach audiences. We are seeking a leader with strong communication skills who can move quickly and creatively to develop journalists and drive engagement.
The ideal candidate should be comfortable juggling and shifting priorities throughout the day. This is a hands-on position with editing and coaching responsibilities. The editor in this position should be eager to collaborate with colleagues throughout the newsroom and in McClatchy’s other newsrooms across California’s Central Valley.
This editor will be expected to utilize digital analytics to the newsroom’s benefit while understanding some key nuances. You should be comfortable analyzing story performance, identifying audiences and how we reach them, and collaborating with other teams to distribute that content to multiple platforms.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $75,000 and $85,000 annually. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and relevant education.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to longform journalism in a way that best serves and engages our audiences.
- Excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests.
- The ability to articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality, innovative journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism
- At least 3-5 years of newsroom experience.
- Fluency with analytics and how to apply them.
- A way with headlines and an understanding of what works well on different platforms.
- Good working knowledge of SEO practices.
To apply, include a persuasive cover letter, your resume and four to six examples of your best work.
What we’ll bring:
As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on well-being and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefits package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
Our impact is growing every day. We have 30 growing news markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of an exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth — a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.