|Date Posted||August 21, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Join a dynamic, award-winning team that makes a difference in the world!
Global Sisters Report is a website publication dedicated to reporting on and giving voice to Catholic women religious (sisters) around the world. The sisters work in a variety of ministries: preventing human trafficking and assisting victims; helping those who are homeless, poor and marginalized, and finding ways to help protect the earth. As journalists, we also explore topics related to religious life and spirituality. The sisters write columns on a broad range of topics — their ministries, spiritual growth and insights, and religious life.
The social media and multimedia editor will be responsible for developing and helping to implement social media and multimedia strategies for Global Sisters Report, as well as creating and producing multimedia content such as graphics, short and long form video, and audio. Global Sisters Report is a project of National Catholic Reporter. The social media and multimedia editor reports to the Global Sisters Report managing editor. This is a full-time, remote position.
We’re looking for an innovative, creative, self-starter to help tell the world about the amazing work of these women!
• Working with other editors to create strategies for all audio, video and social media for Global Sisters Report. This includes prioritizing and planning social media content, integrating video and audio content with reporting; using video and audio to promote content.
• Collaborate with GSR editors and reporters to create, edit, and produce short and long form videos, including TikToks, Instagram Reels, and YouTube mini documentaries.
• Edit and produce audio material for content.
• Respond and engage with the GSR community on social media, including writing social media posts and captions.
• Create graphics for use on social media, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and WhatsApp groups.
• Train reporters and editors in best practices of journalistic use of social media. Coordinate and strategize how individual accounts complement and coordinate with institutional accounts.
• Attend weekly GSR editor and/or staff meetings, as well as other meetings as necessary to maintain communication to plan and prioritize audio, video and social media content.
• Work with the GSR editors on higher-level social media and other engagement strategizing and implementation, such as growing international, younger, more diverse audiences for Global Sisters Report.
• Maintain high standards of accuracy, accountability and integrity.
• Bachelor's degree or higher, plus at least three years of experience managing digital and/or social media accounts for media outlets to develop a voice for publications and elevate brand awareness.
• An appreciation for the Global Sisters Report's mission, as well as knowledge of the Catholic Church, social and political issues.
• A successful track record of growing an organization's digital content and social media analytics, especially among targeted demographic groups.
• Comfort multi-tasking and working both independently and as part of a department, as well as an ability to work collegially with a geographically-dispersed staff.
• Experience with video and audio editing and required software.
• Familiarity with a content management system (GSR uses Drupal), Google Analytics and Slack.
• Experience with YouTube and Canva.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Willing to work a flexible schedule, often driven by the news in a global environment.
• Spanish language skills are a plus.
Compensation and benefits:
This remote position will be full-time. Salary is commensurate with experience and other relevant factors, in the range of $42,000 to $54,000 annually. GSR offers the following benefits for full-time employees:
• Health Insurance plan options (90% employer paid premium)
• Dental and Vision plan coverage (90% / 75% employer paid premium)
• Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
• Group Annuity Program (403B) with company match
• Supplemental Insurance option (Aflac)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• Paid parental leave (up to 12 weeks)
• Generous paid vacation (up to 20 days per year)/sick/personal time, plus 11 paid holidays
• Flexibility for work/life integration; summer hours (between Memorial and Labor Days)
Interested parties should submit a cover letter explaining their interest and describing their qualifications. Please include a resume with career history and three to five social media and multimedia samples. Samples can include social media campaigns, social media postings, designed graphics, edited videos, or recorded reels. Please include at least one social media and one multimedia example.
All nominations, applications and inquiries should be directed electronically to email@example.com by Sept. 8, 2023.
All communications will be treated confidentially. Application materials will be reviewed as they are received, and subsequent steps in the hiring process will take place following the application deadline.
National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees. Reasonable accommodations or exemption will be considered for medical-related or sincerely held religious objections.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an equal opportunity employer, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is a non-profit, independent, lay-led news organization that reports on the Catholic Church and wider moral issues facing the human family. It publishes the National Catholic Reporter bi-monthly in print and daily at NCRonline.org. It also publishes Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat online. These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation. Throughout our history, NCR has been a voice for the voiceless, disadvantaged and marginalized. It has held authority, secular or religious, accountable.