Phoenix New Times
|Date Posted||December 06, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers, Digital Media|
Phoenix New Times is looking for a versatile news reporter to tell important, hard-hitting, timely and engaging stories about the fifth-largest city in the country and a state capitol where local politics often plays out on the national stage. You’ll join a small but scrappy newsroom that’s been telling the stories of a diverse and booming region since 1970. We value ambitious reporting, well-crafted prose, an engaging voice and savvy use of social media.
- Your stories will range from breaking news and trending topics that need to be written quickly to enterprise, investigative or feature stories that could take a week or more to report. You’ll also produce helpful guides to local and regional events and issues.
- Work with the newsroom to tell these stories in a variety of formats, including traditional articles online and in our weekly print issue, videos, photo essays and through social media.
- Use social media to find trending topics to cover, discover sources and promote your work.
- Attend public meetings, town halls, political rallies and other events outside the office to find sources, stories and people impacted by the decisions made by elected officials and government agencies. The position sometimes requires evening and weekend work.
- Collaborate with other parts of the newsroom, our social media and product teams, and occasionally with reporters and editors in our newsrooms in Denver, Dallas and Miami.
- Build broad and diverse relationships so that sources, story ideas, research and reporting reflect the diverse communities of the Valley.
- Be committed to accuracy and meeting deadlines.
- Participate in our annual Best of Phoenix issue and other projects during the year.
Who You Are
- A journalist with a track record of crafting breaking stories on deadline with crisp writing and the ability to tell stories about people impacted by what you’re covering.
- Demonstrable writing skills with the ability to report complex issues with simplified, accessible language.
- Experience in reporting across a variety of topics, such as politics, public health, criminal justice, cannabis, government, labor and the environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A highly-organized, resourceful and proactive self-starter.
- Experience with open records requests.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus, as is experience in a marginalized community.
- Compensation range of $42,000 to $50,000, depending on experience.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.
- 10 paid holidays, 14 days of paid time off, 5 paid sick days per year.
- Hybrid work policy based in our central Phoenix office.
- This is a union position.
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that reflects the people and communities we serve across the Valley. We encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
Think you’ve got what it takes? Email a cover letter, resume and links to three to five clips that show your skills and range to email@example.com. Please put News Reporter in the subject line.
We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.