StateImpact Oklahoma Reporter
University of Oklahoma
|Date Posted||May 26, 2023|
StateImpact Oklahoma Reporter
Reports to: StateImpact Oklahoma Managing Editor
StateImpact Oklahoma seeks a tenacious reporter to join a team of journalists investigating and explaining how government policy shapes people’s lives in Oklahoma…and beyond. This reporter will file stories predominantly on health, while working with state and regional news partners and reporters and editors from NPR.
StateImpact Oklahoma (SIOK) is an enterprise journalism collaboration of Oklahoma NPR stations (KGOU, KOSU, KWGS and KCCU). Since 2012, SIOK has won numerous awards, including regional Edward R. Murrow Awards and a national PRNDI Award. Almost 230,000 listeners and more than one million unique digital readers follow SIOK reporting each week. The ideal candidate will have a strong record as a data-driven reporter with expertise in public policy issues.
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism or related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in reporting on health, government, politics and/or public policy
- Experience producing in multiple formats, using a variety of tools, including digital, broadcast, video, social media, blogs and podcasts
- Exceptional news judgment and high journalistic and ethical standards, including commitment to accuracy, fairness and diversity
- Advanced research, analytical, organizational, time-management and communication skills
- Ability to work with editor and other reporters
- Ability to produce reports on complex issues in multiple formats on deadline
- Proficiency in audio production, photography, digital storytelling and social media
- Ability to travel and walk long distances while carrying equipment weighing up to 20 pounds
- Cover Letter
- Familiarity with audio or video editing and general office software including Adobe Audition, MS Office and Apple production software
- On-air experience for a college or professional broadcast news operation/digital news site
- Experience in political, social and cultural issues in Oklahoma
- Ability to represent StateImpact Oklahoma at public events
- Experience developing in-depth reports on complex issues, policies or trends
- News consumer who regularly follows news stories and developments in journalism
This is a full-time position with regular hours Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., although occasional work after hours or on weekends should be expected. Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position will be a University of Oklahoma employee, with University benefits. The University of Oklahoma is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The position is open until filled. More information is available at http://kgou.org/jobs.
The application is made online at https://jobs.ou.edu – Requisition number 231092.
THE FOLLOWING CLOSING STATEMENT WILL BE ADDED TO ALL ADVERTISEMENTS: Applicants must submit an ONLINE application at www.jobs.ou.edu for the appropriate job requisition number. Computers and personal assistance are available at the Office of Human Resources, 905 Asp, Room 205, Norman, OK 73069. Include job requisition number on all correspondence. Deadlines subject to change with or without notice. For further information on this or other University of Oklahoma job opportunities, please call (405) 325-1826 or access our website at www.hr.ou.edu. The University of Oklahoma is an equal opportunity institution (www.ou.edu/eoo).