Crime and Public Safety Reporter
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaSee other jobs from this company
|Date Posted||May 26, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Western Pennsylvania’s largest newspaper, is looking for a talented journalist to help us grow our coverage of crime, cops, courts, and public safety.
We’re looking for a reporter to cover public safety from all angles, with stories that go beyond press releases, dig beneath the surface to examine all the factors behind crime in Pittsburgh and the region, and that center coverage more through the lens of citizens and data and less through statements from public officials. This position is for an afternoon and evening shift that will include some other general assignment reporting.
The ideal candidate has the ability to identify trends through strong source development and the mining of data, and to tell the personal stories of those impacted by crime. We are looking for a reporter who spends time in neighborhoods and at police precincts to better understand how crime is impacting residents, and who illuminates government and non-government efforts to address crime and its impacts.
This reporter will work closely with our other Crime and Public Safety Reporter, as well as a wide range of news and investigations reporters, editors, and audience teams to shape reporting and storytelling to meet audience needs and interests on every platform. A key component of this job is not just being reactive to information put out by authorities, but to be more enterprising and more embracing of needs, concerns and
solutions regarding public safety in our city and the region.
- An ability to develop a wide range of sources both within the police department and the many communities we serve
- A proven track record of writing timely, well-reported and thought-provoking stories
- An eagerness to be part of a rapidly transforming newsroom working to provide deep coverage of a diverse and changing community
- An ability to collaborate with visuals teams to provide all appropriate elements for stories (photos, videos and graphics), and to directly produce photos and videos as needed
- An ability to juggle daily, short-term enterprise and long-term enterprise stories
- Strong command of AP grammar and style
- An ability to produce content that is fair, accurate and thorough
- A collaborative spirit and a determination to work well with others on stories big and small, within a team and across desks
Other Things to Know
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it
- As an equal opportunity employer, the Post-Gazette is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism
- Experience covering daily, breaking news
- Knowledge of social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Display exceptional work ethic, time management, and organization skills
To apply, please go to www.post-gazette.com/careers
The Employer is involved in a labor dispute at its place of business.
Offered employment is in place of employees involved in labor dispute.