|Date Posted||May 24, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
The Hamburg Sun is looking for a motivated and organized journalist with strong news judgement to lead its community news coverage. The Sun has served Hamburg and the surrounding communities since 1875. It is a weekly newspaper with important stories to tell, from news development and school district issues to municipality watchdog work and high school sports coverage.
The Sun is looking for an editor who will prioritize enterprise journalism that connects the dots for readers and scrutinizes decision-makers. This work will be balanced with coverage of powerful institutions and well told stories about the community’s people and passages.
The Sun staff also produces Sun+, a paid subscription newsletter product focused on real estate, restaurants and development across the Southtowns. Sun+ has been well received by readers and is growing. It is the center of The Sun’s digital strategy.
The Sun editor will have strong editing and copy-editing skills. This leader will also be a teacher that can help the staff reporter and community contributors improve their reporting and writing.
The editor will understand the connection between great journalism and economic sustainability. They will seek new opportunities to solidify The Sun as not just a news organization, but as a community asset.
The successful candidate will be prepared to:
- Direct, support and develop a staff of reporters and community contributors charged with deeply covering the community.
- Ensure smooth, on-time production of each week’s print edition.
- Reimagine The Sun’s digital presence, both through Sun+ and social media platforms.
- Lead by example as a reporter covering a major beat.
- Manage the publication’s editorial finances and keep the news operation on budget.
- Leverage the content provided by contributing writers and photographers.
- Serve as a representative of The Sun in the community, from fielding reader inquiries to building partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Partner with advertising and circulation teams to identify and pursue opportunities to build audience and revenue, while maintaining editorial independence and integrity.
The successful candidate will articulate how they will:
- Lead the staff to tackle increasingly ambitious journalism challenges.
- Ensure that The Sun facilitates meaningful, well informed community conversations.
- Continuously iterate to improve the digital and print products, grow audience and open new revenue opportunities.
- Develop new talent and partnerships.
- Foster experimentation that is connected to clear goals and outcomes.
Apply for this Job
Send your resume to this employer.
Email the resume you have listed on JournalismJobs.com to this employer.
Don't have a resume posted on JournalismJobs.com? Click here to post one now!