|Date Posted||May 22, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Post and Courier, South Carolina’s largest and the South’s oldest daily newspaper, seeks an experienced and driven metro editor in its Charleston office. This talented journalist and leader will guide a team of reporters in daily coverage as well as enterprise work.
Winner of the 2015 Pulitzer Prize for public service journalism and a six-time finalist since 2011, The Post and Courier prides itself on deep reporting and strong storytelling that makes a difference. We are a teaching newsroom that strives to support our staff and help our journalists grow professionally through training, mentoring and collaboration.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of guiding reporters on short-turn daily stories as well as enterprise work that competes for space on the front page. Experience with longer-term investigations would be a definite bonus. Being a stickler for grammar and style are equally as important to being able to spot holes in reporting and understanding the rhythms of great storytelling. We are looking for someone with a varied background as a journalist and editor, from municipal and county government to education to health and other fields. We want someone who thrives working in a team environment and is committed to leading both veteran and new reporters. The person hired will get to help produce amazing stories with a talented staff.
The Post and Courier is one of the few independent, family-owned newspapers remaining. Our local owners’ roots in the community go back generations. They care deeply about this newspaper and its reputation.
This also is a growing newspaper that is adding staff and expanding its footprint in South Carolina. This position is for the newsroom in Charleston, a beautiful place that has tremendous history, great beaches and world-class restaurants. We also have reporters in Columbia, Greenville/Spartanburg, Hilton Head/Beaufort County, Myrtle Beach/Georgetown, Rock Hill/York County and Florence/Pee Dee region.
If you think you fit the bill for what we are looking for, please send your resume and examples of your (and your teams’) work to Managing Editor Jason Cato at email@example.com. The Post and Courier is a drug-free and equal opportunity employer.
The Post and Courier is committed to building a diverse newsroom that reflects the people it covers and the audience it serves. Candidates are encouraged to highlight new perspectives they can bring to our team.
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Bachelors degree in Journalism, Communications or English preferred
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience as an editor
- Flexibility to occasionally adjust hours to cover breaking news or weekend and evening events
- Valid drivers license, good driving record, reliable and insured vehicle
- Reliable access to internet service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of AP style
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Good customer relation skills with the ability to professionally speak and work with readers and the public
- Ability to react quickly to breaking news
- Ability to prioritize workload and self-manage projects, handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines
- Knowledge of the community and surrounding cities a plus
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced, ever-evolving industry and workplace
- Strong, professional work ethic
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Highly collaborative, able to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Familiarity with CMS platforms