|Date Posted||May 19, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
PS Communications, publisher of four annual niche publications and a bi-weekly community newspaper, the Northwest Observer, is seeking an associate editor/multi-media community journalist with proven experience in all areas of community news and feature writing – including local government, crime, business and school news, human interest stories and a special focus on youth sports and academics, community service, etc.
Candidates should value the role community journalism plays in keeping residents, community leaders and local business owners and other professionals both informed and connected.
Our associate editor/multi-media journalist must:
- work well independently as well as with our small staff of administrative, marketing, production and other editorial team members
- be attentive to detail and insistent on accuracy
- committed to being objective in all writing, at all times
- have excellent writing and self-editing skills
- willingly accept writing assignments as well as be a self-initiator and consistently offer ideas for engaging content that is important and valuable to readers
- complement articles and social media posts with photos and videos
- meet pressing deadlines without undue stress as well as prepare for those far into the future
- be able to switch gears quickly when needed to cover a breaking story
- and develop and maintain positive, professional working relationships with residents, elected officials, and business and community leaders
You will report directly to the owner of PS Communications, who serves as the company’s president/CEO as well as publisher and editor of all publications.
Hours: average 40- to 45-hour workweek will be dedicated to attending meetings and covering community events, researching information for stories, conducting interviews, writing, editing, photographing and creating videos for online posts. Workday schedules will be flexible, and require some evening and occasional weekend hours for meeting and event coverage. Office/editorial-related work can be done from home/remote, but our associate editor/journalist must live within our readership area and be highly visible and available for in-person interviews, meeting/event coverage, etc.
Salary/Benefits: $49,000 annually; two weeks paid vacation per year, eight paid holidays and three additional paid days off between Christmas and New Year’s; matching retirement of up to 3% of gross salary after first six months of employment; reimbursement for health insurance coverage of up to $300/month after first eight weeks of employment.
Qualified applicants should send resume, cover letter outlining how your skills and experience align with the provided job description and requirements, writing samples, photography samples (including sports photography, if available) and two to three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT US: PS Communications, founded in 1996, is independently owned and based in Oak Ridge, North Carolina. Our publications are targeted to three small communities (Oak Ridge, Summerfield and Stokesdale) in northwest Guilford County as well as the outlying areas of Greensboro, and we are personally committed to serving the over 25,000 residents, community leaders and business owners within our readership area in the most professional, supportive and responsible manner possible. To learn more about PS Communications, our publications and our team, visit pscommunications-inc.com; to learn more about our community newspaper, visit nwobserver.com. To learn more about the communities we cover, view our annual northwest FINDER, accessible in digital form on nwobserver.com’s homepage.