|Date Posted||May 18, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Writes, edits, proofreads, copyedits articles for AOPA.org and the association’s electronic newsletters. Plans and prepares stories for online dissemination. Prepares articles from knowledge of topic and editorial position of publication, supplemented by additional study and research. Must be willing to travel for certain articles. Understands aviation terminology and concepts, practices, and procedures. Under the supervision of the Digital Media Managing Editor, develop experience and judgment planning and accomplishing editorial and circulation goals for AOPA’s digital media products. Performs a variety of tasks and special projects as assigned. Needs little guidance, self-motivated, and highly creative individual.
- Brainstorm, research, and pitch stories ideas that focus on technique, adventure, and entertainment
- Plan story process, including elements for online, video, photography, and social media to provide an interactive experience for the reader and increase engagement with AOPA
- Write in-depth features that cross multiple communications channels to educate, inform, and entertain readers on a variety of topics. This would include advocacy features that dive into a topic, cite industry sources, and bring AOPA’s efforts to the forefront in an interesting manner.
- Assist with editing and production of AOPA ePilot and ePilot Flight Training Edition and any special editions
- Write and edit articles for aviation events as assigned
- Assist the Senior Director of Digital Media and Digital Media Managing Editor with the progression of the AOPA.org vision, editorial tone, and roadmaps for electronic publications
- Frederick, Maryland
- 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., hybrid schedule available
- Office environment
- Travel up to once every other month, coverage of aviation events or shows as assigned
Physical Demands: The position requires sedentary work (sitting most of the time with no adverse environmental exposure) and occasional exertion of up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. The position also includes the following physical requirements:
- The employee in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- The employee in this position needs to be able to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a copy machine and printer
- The employee is required to communicate and hold verbal conversations with others by means of the spoken Employee must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, and two to four years of experience, preferably with an aviation publication
- Private pilot certificate strongly preferred
- Thorough knowledge of AP Style
- Experience working in website content management systems and email marketing platforms
- Excellent skills in the Microsoft Office Suite with ability to master content management and digital asset management systems
- Ability to work in Adobe Creative Cloud
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as part of a collaborative team in fast-paced environment with multiple projects, deadlines, and changing priorities
- Strong organizational, time-management, and written and verbal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Photography, videography, and social media skills a plus