|Date Posted||May 12, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Fort-Worth Star Telegram is looking for a Reporter/High School Sports Editor. This position plans, coordinates and executes coverage of high school sports in and around Fort Worth, one of the fastest growing cities in the country. This position will actively report and write a mix of content in a digital-first media world, becoming the face of high school sports coverage on local and regional high school social platforms through the use of stories, video, fan polls and other tactics to grow audience and subscribers.
This position will focus their writing on in-depth features, commentary, enterprise and accountability work. This position also coordinates coverage among a team of contract writers who help with our weekly high school football coverage. This position also coordinated with a part-time staff member, who edits and designs a weekly eEdition on Friday nights during football season.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes a comprehensive plan for high school sports coverage, to include in-depth enterprise reporting, features and game coverage.
- Reporting, writing and videography on stories important to readers, presented in a comprehensive and understandable manner.
- Coordinates a team of contract writers and photographers to provide a wide variety of coverage of all sports.
- Uses social media to grow audience.
- Works in concert with a part-time staff member, who gathers standings, schedules and statistics and also edits and paginates weekly eEdition on Friday nights of football season.
- Assists with coverage on other sports beats as needed.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated experience in reporting and writing, including on deadline.
- Demonstrated experience using video and video-editing software.
- Experience in handling many tasks associated with covering dozens of high schools in multiple sports during a season.
- Demonstrated comfort working in a digital-first environment, consistently working assignments from angles that benefit multiple platforms.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate a comprehensive coverage plan, incorporating a team of contract writers.
- Must be a self-starter, able to take initiative and handle many tasks at once.
- Must be able to work independently, using all available resources, internally and externally.
- Requires strict attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines under pressure.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or its equivalent of education and experience preferred.
- Two years of experience in a digital-first sports news environment preferred.
What we’ll bring: As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options include healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefit package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
About McClatchy: Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.