Senior Business Writer
Anywhere, All Locations
|Date Posted||May 11, 2023|
The Hustle, a daily business and tech newsletter with 3 million subscribers, is looking for a talented feature writer who understands business and startups and knows how to create viral hits. Must write with flair and originality and have the courage to take risks. You’ll contribute across our editorial products, primarily focused on writing original long-form features for our popular Sunday email.
What you’ll do:
- Generate distinctive story ideas by staying on top of important developments in business and tech
- Use interviews, data and archival research to surface smart, quirky stories that captivate our entrepreneurial audience (you can see our archive of Sunday feature stories here)
- Apply journalistic best practices, contributing deeply reported and factually accurate stories in The Hustle’s signature voice
- Contribute ideas and stories across our editorial team, including The Hustle daily email, The Hustle Daily Show podcast, The Hustle YouTube channel, and more
- Help us brainstorm and develop new editorial products and features that align with business need
What you’ll bring:
- A creative approach to idea generation and storytelling
- A proven track record of writing and editing stories that generate buzz
- Ability to deliver clean work under tight deadlines
- Experience writing short- and long-form content
- A discerning eye for accuracy coupled with a willingness to get on the phone and interview sources
- Ability to identify sources and conduct meaningful interviews
- Ability to cut through BS and get to the heart of a story (not just regurgitate press releases or take sources’ accounts at face value)
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- A moral and ethical compass
We encourage applications from candidates who have succeeded in a startup environment and we welcome candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, with experience outside of journalism. We're also open to candidates with different levels of experience. For us, having a person with the right mindset and temperament is most important.
The Hustle is owned by the software company HubSpot.
Salary range is $112,000-$168,000. Interested candidates will need to send a resume, cover letter, and 3-5 clips, and should apply via HubSpot's job portal via this link.