|Date Posted||May 10, 2023|
|Required Education||High School Diploma|
WFYI is pioneering in digital spaces to find more ways to engage the community and serve more diverse audiences. We need an experienced journalist able to curate, write, edit and deliver local broadcast and digital newscasts to air in the national NPR news magazine Morning Edition, and on NPR One and other digital platforms.
This Journalist will also be a vital part of our reporting team and contribute content for broadcast and online publication. Those stories will include daily stories of high interest and impact in Indianapolis, long-form pieces on quality of life issues and “news you can use” that responds to audience questions and needs determined through community engagement.
This position requires in-person work at our Indianapolis studios each morning, Monday through Friday. Some field reporting work will be required in the afternoons. This position reports to the Managing Editor for Daily News and will work with topic desks as needed – health, education, and public policy.
- Value, contribute to and sustain WFYI/WBAA’s commitment to a culture of belonging that sees our culture’s history of power and privilege and seeks to balance that with the inclusion of many diverse experiences and perspectives.
- Administer newscast content for WFYI/WBAA, on broadcast and digital platforms.
- Use clear and concise newscast writing and editing in a manner that leaves a clear understanding of the basic facts in the listener’s mind, without doubt or confusion.
- Find and report a minimum of 2 daily stories a week and one 2-way interview or feature story per month.
- Stay curious, keep up with news that fits in our priority equity news lens – public policies meant to serve everyone, where they succeed, where they fail and efforts to fix them.
- Work with the Managing Daily News Editor and the digital team to plan and expand WFYI/WBAA’s digital newscast reach and serve broader audiences.
- Take part in special reporting projects, and breaking news as assigned.
- Support other duties in the newsroom as assigned.
- This position does not report for weekend on-call duty unless there a need.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Advanced skills in sound editing and studio production.
- Experience delivering broadcast news.
- Experience in news writing, editing and reporting for online and broadcast media.
- Three or more years of reporting experience.
- Experience with social media platforms.
- Ability to excel in a team environment with a high level of personal motivation.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent work experience required.
- The successful person in this position is committed to developing their voice to match the clarity and confidence of the national tone, and voice training is available.