|Date Posted||August 29, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
The Advocate, which is locally owned, is the largest daily newspaper in Louisiana, and publishes editions in Baton Rouge, New Orleans and the Lafayette area. The Baton Rouge universal desk is the design and editing hub for our state operations. We are seeking someone who specializes in front pages, editing and features and can make a page stand out.
This position is based in Baton Rouge, the crossroads for great sports, entertainment and intriguing politics. We're just an hour away from New Orleans and Lafayette. This is not remote work.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented and able to work on multiple pages and editions a night, without breaking a sweat as deadline looms. If you can make front pages stand out by breaking out graphical elements and using typography to illustrate a story, will make headlines sing; have an excellent grasp of AP style; be versatile in news, features and sports; is a team player; and can manage numerous pages, stories and their time appropriately we want you on our team!
Daily newspaper experienced required, as well as experience with InDesign and Photoshop; knowledge of Illustrator is a plus.
Preferred but not required:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Minimum 2 years copy editing and design experience at a daily newspaper.
- Considerable knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Considerable knowledge of newspaper page design and pagination.
- Good knowledge of media production and written communication methods.
Compensation: base pay and benefits package (health, dental, life, disability, vision, 401k with company match, and PTO).
Remote position will be considered.
The Advocate is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to recruiting, developing, and promoting a diverse workforce while providing unique opportunities and career paths for our employees. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds and experience levels to apply.