|Date Posted||May 18, 2023|
|Required Education||Bachelor's Degree|
Reports to: Editor-in-Chief/Managing Editor
Children’s Health Defense (CHD) is a litigation advocacy organization dedicated to protecting child health, ending the epidemic of children’s chronic health conditions by eliminating harmful environmental exposures, holding those responsible accountable, and establishing safeguards. Guided by science, we are tackling big pharma, holding big industry accountable at an unprecedented scale, and establishing safeguards to make a safer environment for children. We share our discoveries about harmful environmental exposures with the public and nurture a culture of leadership in communities. Our programs and resources cultivate science literacy and build a foundation of collaborative problem-solving among our next generation of leaders, scientists, physicians, citizens, and stewards. Working both nationally and internationally, our collaborative approach engages local communities, governments, the private sector, and other partners.
The Defender is the news and views website for CHD. We publish the Top News of the Day newsletter, Monday - Friday, and the Most Read News of the Week on Sundays.
The news editor works directly with The Defender’s managing editor and editor-in-chief to assign and edit news stories.
- Work closely with editors and reporters to identify potential story ideas
- Work closely with reporters on story direction, identification of potential sources
- Edit original content for accuracy, AP style, readability, clarity, organization/flow, use of credible sources, inverted pyramid-style news writing
- Work closely with reporters on strategies for improving writing/reporting skills
- Research potential reposts
- Write headlines and excerpts for original and reposted content
- Write short articles on trending news stories on an as-needed basis
- Collaborate with copy editor and content managers to finalize articles for daily newsletter
- Ensure Defender deadlines are met without compromising quality
- Attend meetings and events as required
- Respond to calls, emails and text communications in a timely manner
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in journalism or related field
- 4+ years’ experience working as a news editor, reporter
- Deep knowledge of medical freedom movement and alignment with CHD mission
- Ability to identify breaking news and in-depth article topics relevant to The Defender’s audience
- Strong writing and proofreading skills with expertise in inverted pyramid-style news writing
- Understanding of news-writing style and ability to differentiate between news writing, opinion and feature-style writing
- Strong knowledge of AP Stylebook
- Understanding of true journalistic standards
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work under deadline pressure
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and adapt to sudden changes in priorities
- Proficient in standard business software including but not limited to MS Office or similar, email , and Experience using G Suite, preferred
- Candidates for this position must submit at least two writing samples that are 500 words or more
Environmental and Physical Requirements:
Essential physical and environmental requirements of this position include but are not limited to the ability to: speak, hear, see, write, type, use a computer, use a phone, attend online meetings, sit for prolonged periods of time, work on a set schedule, maintain a safe home office. Ability to travel if needed.
Benefits for full-time include:
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Sick/Personal Time
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- 403b plan with employer match
The salary range for this position is listed on this ad. The actual salary offered is dependent on various factors including but not limited to location, the candidate's combination of job-related knowledge, qualifications, skills, education, training and experience.