|Date Posted||March 15, 2023|
|Industry||Newspapers / Wires|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
|Salary||$120,000 to $140,000|
The Modesto Bee is seeking a creative, collaborative senior editor to lead a talented team of journalists to reach an ever-growing and increasingly diverse audience of readers, viewers and listeners in Modesto, California.
A proven track record of continuous experimentation is a must. The successful candidate will be an innovative news leader who can draw the best work from our reporters, editors and visual journalists and drive newsroom collaboration. This person must have newsroom leadership experience and be prepared to bring and implement fresh ideas about how to serve an audience that is diverse and dynamic.
This editor will play an integral role in leading the newsroom’s mission to deliver accountability journalism, solutions-focused stories, high-utility news and information, and breaking news coverage that is first and best on the most important issues to our region and state.
As senior editor, you will ensure that The Modesto Bee’s journalists produce unique, audience-focused coverage consistent with McClatchy’s longstanding mission of independent, essential local news that serves the public. We are seeking an accomplished leader with strong communication skills who can move quickly and creatively to drive engagement at all levels of the organization. The editor in this position should be eager to collaborate with colleagues throughout the organization and across McClatchy’s California newsrooms.
A key requirement of the senior editor role is to serve as the face of the newsroom in the community, including developing relationships and building community support to bolster the organization’s place within a competitive and collaborative news ecosystem.
This position requires a command of audience analytics and knowledge of the tactics that deliver results, as well as a desire to experiment with purpose, iterate and adjust as the news environment dictates.
The anticipated base pay range for this position is between $125,000 and $145,000 annually. Individual base pay may vary within that range depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, department equity, training, geography, and local wage and hours laws.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and a superior ear for tone.
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to longform pieces in a way that best serves and engages our audiences.
- Excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests.
- The ability to articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence.
- A focus on ensuring that our journalism and our staff represent the fullness of our community and the diversity of the people who live here.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality, innovative journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism
- At least 3 years of experience as a successful leader of a newsroom or a large news team
The Modesto Bee senior editor must be both confident and conscientious in guiding a motivated newsroom to always keep our community’s interests at the heart of our journalism. If this is you, please apply.
What we’ll bring: As a journalist at McClatchy, you will join a supportive, flexible, collaborative team. McClatchy strives to be an employer of choice, and our benefits package is made with this goal in mind. With a focus on health, well-being, wealth and daily life, our package options includes healthcare coverage for employees and their families, financial protection from expected and unexpected expenses, multiple no-cost wellness resources and even coverage for four-legged friends.
Our overall benefit package also includes a 401(k) with employer match, competitive paid time off and corporate holidays, and a variety of mental health benefits. With an excellent support team and with focus on your well-being as a top corporate strategy, McClatchy provides benefits to support you and your family in achieving your health and wellness goals. For more information on McClatchy's benefit plan, please visit McClatchyLivewell.com.
Our impact is growing every day. 30 growing markets. Over 65 million monthly readers. 56 Pulitzer Prizes. A strong portfolio of dynamic partnerships and smart investments. Our award-winning journalism, digital reach, and commitment to innovative growth have never been stronger.
As a member of the McClatchy family, you are part of a flexible, empowering, and exciting culture dedicated to creating a work/life balance and consistent opportunities for growth—a place where you have a voice and the ability to impact our future. It’s an exciting time to be here. Our company is experiencing the most transformative period in its history. We’re growing rapidly in the digital space and delivering award-winning journalism in innovative ways.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.