Democracy Now! Productions
New York, New York
|Date Posted||March 15, 2023|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
Democracy Now! fellowships are full-time, one-year work placements that pay a livable wage and include fully paid medical and dental benefits. The fellowships provide support and mentorship to underrepresented early-career journalists and digital media professionals, including BIPOC, people with disabilities and gender nonconforming people.
Democracy Now! is committed to building greater diversity in newsrooms and training the next generation of journalists. Fellows will develop skills and gain experience in a daily live TV news environment, and have the opportunity to bring their unique voices, perspectives and experiences into the newsroom. Democracy Now! staff provide one-on-one mentorship and supervision to help fellows maximize their exposure to newsroom, production and online publishing practices.
A successful Digital Fellow will thrive in a deadline-driven daily news environment and be passionate about maintaining and expanding the audience for Democracy Now! online.
Strong candidates will demonstrate proven news judgment and high ethical standards and be avid news consumers on social media. Fellows are encouraged to suggest innovation and improvements to our digital processes based on their outside experience and current digital news trends.
The workday begins as early as 7 a.m. ET to coincide with the live daily TV & radio newscast at 8 a.m. ET.
1 year, beginning spring 2023
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received, so applying early is strongly encouraged. All applications must be received by April 15, 2023.
- Assist with daily drafting, copyediting and posting stories from our daily news hour and from our archives to Democracy Now!’s social media channels.
- Help monitor social media and trending news items that could become part of ongoing coverage. This may include pitching story ideas and possible guests.
- Identify areas for innovation and improvement, as well as ways to enrich Democracy Now!’s coverage based on your areas of interest and outside experience.
- Assist with monthly reporting and analytics, identifying trends and ways to better engage the audience.
- Assist with promoting special programming, events and fundraising campaigns, as needed.
- 1-3 years experience with social media and digital journalism.?
- Familiarity with news writing and AP style.
- Avid news consumer on social media. An interest in U.S. politics, international news and social justice issues is a plus.?
- Strong proofreading skills, detail-oriented and can meet daily deadlines.?
- Familiarity with social platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, TikTok and Instagram.?
- Experience maintaining social presence and strategy for a news outlet or comparable organization in a collaborative environment. Content management experience (WordPress, SquareSpace, etc.) is a plus.?
- Commitment to Democracy Now!’s independent media mission?
- Creative, flexible and comfortable with the pressures of a live news environment.?
- Basic image and video editing experience is a plus, but training can be provided.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary is $60,000
- Benefits include health, dental, paid time off and more!
Applicants must have a valid U.S. work authorization. This position is based out of our Manhattan studio.
Democracy Now! is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ-identified people are encouraged to apply.
This position is not covered by a collective bargaining agreement between Democracy Now! and SAG-AFTRA.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received, so applying early is strongly encouraged. All applications must be received by April 15, 2023, and must include:
- A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment
- A cover letter that addresses the following points:
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- How did you discover Democracy Now!?
Due to the volume of applications received, you will only be contacted if you are selected for an interview. No mail submissions or phone calls please.