|Date Posted||March 13, 2023|
Injustice Watch is seeking a creative and collaborative audience director to lead our growing audience team. The audience director will be responsible for developing a comprehensive audience strategy for our newsroom that considers how we communicate with our existing audiences, how we build new audiences for our work, and how we meaningfully engage with the communities we report on and for.
This is an opportunity to test and implement new ideas and help shape organizational strategy for a mission-driven journalism organization.
Our Audience Director will:
- Develop and execute a community-centered and data-driven audience strategy for public-service and investigative projects on issues of equity and justice in the court system.
- Manage our growing audience team, ensuring each member has the support they need to be successful in their role.
- Develop and standardize audience-related processes and workflows and create space for audience-focused conversations across the organization.
- Oversee audience engagement tools, including existing social media platforms and newsletter, while also identifying new platforms for strategic growth.
- Work closely with reporters and editors to enhance stories and editorial content, develop audience-first projects, and identify potential audience and community engagement opportunities.
- Oversee the design and promotion of events and public service projects throughout Cook County to build community trust and promote our work.
- Develop and implement strategies for sharing our work with those most directly affected by each issue we cover.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with other newsrooms and community organizations to help expand our audience.
- Help create and implement strategies for converting readers to donors.
- Administer the audience budget.
- Represent Injustice Watch by appearing at public forums, conferences, and other events and communicating with stakeholders, as needed.
We’re looking for someone with:
- At least five years of experience working in journalism, audience development, marketing, or another related field, with at least two years of experience in a management role.
- Strong communication skills, both in person and in writing.
- Innovative ideas for engaging communities around public service journalism.
- Documented success building relationships across departments and with other newsrooms and community organizations.
- Advanced understanding of audience analytics and familiarity with related software and tools, such as Google Analytics.
- Experience with digital publishing and content delivery, preferably proficient in WordPress, MailChimp, social media, etc.
- A commitment to building a caring work environment and culture by respectfully providing and accepting feedback, encouraging and modeling work-life balance, and embodying a growth mindset.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We also encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities.
Reports to: Executive Director
Directly supervises: Community Engagement Manager, Audience Development Manager, Artist in Residence
Also works closely with: Editorial Director, Director of Development and Operations
This is a full-time position based in Chicago. Our regular working hours are 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Injustice Watch offers flex-time and flexible schedule accommodations with prior approval. Our team is currently working remotely, with the option to utilize our downtown Chicago office, as needed.
Salary: $95,000-$105,000, commensurate with experience
Benefits of Working at Injustice Watch
- Vacation time (12+ days per year)
- Sick leave (12 days per year)
- Holidays (13 days per year, plus a paid winter break)
- Family leave (6 months, including 3 months fully paid and 3 months of flexible leave)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Annual professional development and workspace stipend ($1,500)
- Phone and internet stipend ($50/month)
- Flexible work schedule
- 401K plan