Senior Content Writer
St. Louis Cardinals
St. Louis, Missouri
|Date Posted||March 09, 2023|
|Industry||Magazines / Publishing|
Summary of Responsibilities:
The St. Louis Cardinals publications department is seeking a seasoned, multi-faceted journalist who can entertain readers through short- and long-form feature writing and help execute all phases of editorial production for the team's flagship publication, Cardinals Magazine (6 x annually), and annual Cardinals Yearbook. The ideal candidate will be comfortable alternating between the roles of writer and editor, with a proven track record in a features-oriented environment and experience covering professional or college sports. This new position will have a lead role in building on the success and high standards of our critically acclaimed publications, while expanding their reach via cross-platform communications.
Essential Functions of the Job:
- Produce a significant volume of compelling copy in timely fashion, maintaining the focus and quality of story narratives while meeting deadlines.
- Generate a continuous flow of unique story ideas that create demand for products by helping readers enjoy and understand Cardinals baseball more.
- Build relationships and trust throughout the clubhouse and front office, thereby enhancing the scope and substance of story opportunities.
- Work closely with staff members to develop assignments and maintain copy flow throughout production timelines.
- Identify and help arrange the photo and video assets to complement story layouts, packaging and promotion.
- Ensure final copy meets our industry's top standard, with the ability to edit and rework copy on deadline and rewrite others' submissions as necessary. Write inspired headlines and cutlines.
- Help shape and execute the department's evolving digital/web/social media presence.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of experience split between writing and editing roles
- Experience covering a pro or major college team as a reporter or columnist, with substantial experience writing long-form features
- Extensive knowledge of baseball in general and Cardinals baseball in particular, both past and present
- Proficient with Apple and Adobe products
- Knowledge of newspaper/literary style manuals and baseball research tools and statistical databases
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed to fulfill assignments and meet deadlines, including nights and weekends
- Spanish fluency, both written and verbal, is desired but not required
Provide examples of previous success in a similar writing/editing position by submitting clips, references, etc.