Senior Media Manager
Center for American Progress
Washington, District of ColumbiaSee other jobs from this company
|Date Posted||March 08, 2023|
|Salary||Minimum compensation: $68,000|
Senior Media Manager
Reports to: Vice President, Communications
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 5
Minimum compensation: $68,000
Work site: Hybrid (on-site two days per week, Washington, D.C., office)
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Senior Media Manager in the Communications department. The Senior Media Manager has three distinct portfolios of work supporting American Progress’ mission to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. This hire will be part of a dynamic department that supports work across American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Building an economy for all
- Restoring social trust in democracy
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Strengthening health
About 50 percent of the Senior Media Manager’s time will be spent helping American Progress experts reach targeted audiences through opinion content. They will handle the editing, pitching, and placement of all expert-authored op-eds and other items for external placement. The Senior Media Manager will develop relationships with opinion editors and help generate strategic short- and long-term ideas for opinion content.
About 25 percent of the Senior Media Manager’s time will be spent working with the Education department, Digital Strategy team, and Government Affairs team, as well as with colleagues on the Press team, to develop and implement media plans for the Education department’s initiatives.
The remaining 25 percent of the Senior Media Manager’s time will be spent assisting in the production of the Center for American Progress Action’s flagship podcast, “The Tent.” Specifically, they will participate in long- and short-term planning for the podcast and serve as the primary point of contact for guest interview bookings. The Senior Media Manager will also serve as the backup producer for the podcast and will be called on to help record and edit episodes when the lead producer is unavailable.
- Edit, pitch, and secure placement for all externally placed content authored by American Progress experts, including op-eds, long-form essays, and letters to the editor.
- Develop and implement media plans for the organization’s education policy work and coordinate with other functional teams, including Digital Strategy and Government Affairs, to develop overall outreach plans for this work.
- Brainstorm ways to insert American Progress policies and voices into daily news and an ever-changing news cycle, including pitching reporters on covering American Progress initiatives.
- Lead booking for the organization’s podcast, “The Tent,” and serve as backup producer when the lead producer is unavailable, assisting with audio editing, scripting, and other duties.
- On occasion, the Senior Media Manager may assist with drafting op-eds.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- At least four years of experience in communications, media relations, government, nonprofit work, or a related field.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, a desire and willingness to stay on top of the daily news cycle, and an eye for great content.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to multitask, initiate new projects, meet tight deadlines, and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Creative and entrepreneurial with strong problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of key stakeholders and thought leaders in progressive policy and politics.
- Possession of good news and editorial judgment.
- Strong organizational skills and close attention to detail.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Cision, the AP Stylebook, and Adobe Audition or other audio software is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefit package. This position is represented by IFTPE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $68,000. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.