Associate News Editor
Cascade Public Media
|Date Posted||March 07, 2023|
|Job Status||Not Specified|
The Associate News Editor supports the News Editor with day-to-day editorial work while acting as a resource for reporters on the team. They will edit copy and help develop story ideas, while assisting reporters in maintaining their beats. Together, the News Editor and the Associate News Editor will work toward improving the scope and quality of our journalism, attract and train new writers, and grow Crosscut’s role as an essential source of PNW news and inspiration, all while demonstrating Cascade Public Media’s values of integrity, community, innovation and diversity.
Hourly rate: $29.33-$31.25
Location: Seattle, Washington – hybrid schedule requires days onsite each week and other days remote
Proof of vaccination status required for employment
CPM offers competitive benefits to team members working 20 hours or more a week. Benefits include:
· 11 paid holidays
· 1 personal holiday
· 4 weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO) to start
· Half-day Fridays during Summer
· Company-matched 401(k) Retirement Plan that is fully-vested immediately
· Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Cascade Public Media serves a diverse community, in terms of ethnicity, class, culture, language, sexual orientation and disabilities and we are committed to increasing diversity and inclusion amongst our team members. We encourage everyone interested in this role to apply even if you don't meet all of our requirements.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES
- Edit stories daily on all beats, as assigned by the News Editor. Work with reporters as they develop stories.
- Actively participate in both news team and newsroom production meetings. With News Editor’s guidance, develop a strong voice of both encouragement and critique in pitch meetings.
- Seek out new freelancers and work to develop story ideas with them.
- Coordinate with the photo and audience teams and assist in building story pages when needed. Work with the audience team to create landing pages for projects.
- Generate story ideas for reporters and freelancers on all beats. Be a journalism and source-building resource for all the reporters on the team.
- May be asked to assist with the News Editor’s responsibilities when on vacation or sick leave.
- Handle a variety of administrative tasks, including coordinating photo requests, helping with complicated page builds, and training new reporters on how to use the newsroom software and do their administrative work.
- Oversee the translations of stories into multiple languages: both picking out which stories should be translated and commissioning an independent contractor to do the translation.
- Occasionally write stories, as needed.
- Continually develop editing and leadership skills, with guidance from the News Editor and Managing Editor.
- Collaborate with other team members to foster a positive and productive culture and contribute toward the overall growth of Cascade Public Media.
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned, at any time, with our without notice.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills for building and fostering key internal and external relationships, as well as the ability to mentor less experienced employees
- Enthusiasm for the role of public media in a changing journalism environment
- Appreciation for the benefits of working with a diverse team
- Deep understanding of journalism ethics and practices, with nonprofit or public media experience preferred
- Experience with multimedia projects, photography, language skills, social media preferred
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in broadcasting, journalism, communications, new media, business, or a related filed or equivalent experience required
- At least four years of experience as a reporter or editor in a deadline-oriented environment
- Must have a valid driver’s license or reliable means of transportation to meet requirements of the job
- Ability to work a varied schedule, including evenings, weekends and some holidays required
- Ability to regularly type on a keyboard
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods